Using an IIF file to upload revised information on item listing

Dianita
Dianita Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
edited October 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Hello Team,

Just wondering if anyone has an input on what factors to carefully consider when doing this? I just uploaded an IIF file on our test file for mapping correction of the income and COGS accounts. My question main concern is if there is any other implication not considered that may have adverse effect on the current settings. What is the best course of action to ensure no or very limited effect on the existing list?

p.s. this is a Reckon Account Enterprise module

Thank you and regards,

Nita

Comments

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi Dianita,

Where did you get the IIF file from?

Did you:

a) create it from scratch

b) did you export it from another data file

c) did you export it from the same file that you are importing it into

What software did you use to edit the IIF file?

Did you save it as a plain text tab-delimited file (TXT) or as a comma-separated volume (CSV) format?

Was your import into the test file successful and did it change the accounts assigned to the Item records in the way you expected them to?

Depending on your familiarity with editing IIF files, we highly recommend that you perform testing on the file to confirm that the changes you have made work as you expect them to.

Also perform a file integrity check using the built-in Verify Data and Rebuild Data functions of the Reckon Accounts Hosted application.

• Dianita
    edited October 2020

Hello Team,

Thanks for this.

I believe the answer is b, it was exported by my manager from the actual data file. I used it in (or uploaded it to) the test data file (which is essentially a back up/ copy file from the original file we use).

The format was in an Excel file, not a csv. When I finished amending it, I saved it as a text tab delimited version (.iif) which was uploaded successfully. I also created a customer invoice and a supplier bill with the items to ensure the P&L information look fine. I personally did not find any issue with the upload, but just to make sure this is completely correct, do you have anything else for me to check other than the changes to the items and extending to what I have done (creating an invoice & bill)?

To reiterate, I had no problems with the upload. Items seemed to show the changes as expected. P&L of the income and COGS linked to the items also seemed to show correctly. What I want to know is, are these steps I have done to check enough to ensure the upload did not change anything else in the whole file?

Regards,

Nita

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi Dianita,

Based on what you have described, it sounds like you have done all the right things.

If the only things you really changed in the IIF file which was imported, related to the accounts that items were assigned to, then those would be the only changes that should have occurred in the test file.

Typically problems would occur if the formatting of the data within the IIF file was incorrect and this would have manifested during the initial import attempt.

As you have created test transactions (invoice/bill) and the reports show the information you expect, then it should be fine.

• Dianita

Good morning, wonderful, thank you very much for confirming.

We did test the 'asset type' section as well yesterday and it seems to be linked correctly to inventory when assigned to the account.

Have a great weekend 😊👍️