Backup Not Working

nance.s
nance.s Member Posts: 60

Backup on one company file won't go past 73%. I have changed to another smaller company file and it works perfectly. I backup this larger file and download every week to sync with other software and it works fine. Anyone else having problems.

Comments

• Alexander McKeown
    Alexander McKeown Reckon Staff Posts: 175 Reckon Staff

Dear Nance,

In this case, does it crash fully or present an error message once it hits 73%?

How large is this company file? How many backups do you take of it?

Regards,

Alexander.

• nance.s

It doesn't crash, it just doesn't finish backing up no matter how long I wait. It says it is not responding. File is 832,148KB. As I said, I backup and download, sync and upload this file every week and it is not normally a problem.

• Alexander McKeown

Dear Nance,

Typically speaking, when Reckon Accounts Hosted "hangs" on this percent, it typically means it is trying to verify and save the data in the background, and has merely gotten "stuck" on something - normally, depending on when the last backup was taken within Hosted, this should not exceed 30 minutes.

A few more questions, if you don't mind answering:

Which web browser are you using?

Is your file pausing or "hanging" anywhere else within the software?

When you say you "backup, download, sync and upload", are you manually downloading the file and working on it in a version of Reckon Accounts Desktop?

Regards,

Alexander.

• nance.s

I am using Google Chrome. The file isn't pausing or hanging anywhere else. I have verify data turned off as it takes too long normally. I download and open in Reckon Accounts Desktop, sync with Tsheets and then upload and reopen the file in Hosted. I have been doing that weekly for about 2 years. I will try opening in a different browser for a start and see if that works.

• nance.s

Tried opening and backing up in Microsoft Edge. Getting an error message "Failure to create backup. Please look at the QBWin.log file for more details. Where do I find that file and how do I open it?

• Alexander McKeown

Dear Nance,

This explains a fair bit. When a company file is first generated, it also generates a "TLG" file that stores all data input into the company file. This file grows larger alongside the company file, and condenses when you backup - but only if you're backing up within Reckon Accounts itself (not with Tsheets or Onedrive or etc).

Doing this process that you have been doing has more than likely bloated or corrupted the TLG file. As Kevin suggested, it may be wisest to move the company file AND it's TLG to desktop, though instead of a portable backup, create a full backup with verification in desktop.

Once this has finished processing, you will need to delete the TLG and file that you have in Hosted, then replace it with the one you have saved on Desktop, restoring it. After this, the file should backup normally. We recommend backing up inside of Hosted at least once per week to once every two weeks to prevent issues like these occurring again.

Regards,

Alexander.

• Alexander McKeown

Kevin,

The portable backup file cannot condense the TLG file, which is the source of this issue. Hence moving both it and the company file to desktop to have a full backup processed will resolve any future issues with the file.

Resorting to a portable backup after a full backup has been run, however, would allow for ease of upload and download, but for right now, the data inside the TLG file has to be saved to the file itself, which can only be done via full verify backup.

Regards,

Alexander.

• nance.s

I am trying the portable company file backup now Zappy. So I do that, then download it, open it in Reckon Desktop and then once I have synced with Tsheets I do a normal backup in Desktop and upload it to Hosted and restore the backup? How long does it take to do the portable backup normally. I have attached a screenshot and it doesn't seem to be making any progress.

Alexander - I don't believe that it is because I have been downloading and syncing with Tsheets as I do the backup within Reckon Desktop not with any other packages.

• nance.s

OK. The portable file backup is finished and I have downloaded it and am opening it in Desktop. What is my next move?

• nance.s

It won't open the portable file without doing a backup which it is in the process of. Hopefully it is going to work.

• nance.s

Yes I opened the portable in Desktop. All good, the backup finished and I have now synced with Tsheets. I am trying to do another backup in Desktop to upload to Hosted with the changes.

• nance.s

The backup from Desktop uploaded and opened okay. It still won't complete a backup in Hosted but I might just have to resort to the portable copy to download each time.