RAP crashes when attempting to enter a new stock code in the "Security List"

Hi all,

I have been battling with this issue for over 12 months, be closer to 18 months. I was using Personal Plus 2019 until recently when I was forced to upgrade to 2021. I was hopeful the issue would have been fixed in the new release after I have generated several hundred crash reports to Reckon over this time. I actually managed to speak with a software engineer from Reckon today who gave me some self help references to look up and try:

5494 - Run as ADMIN, Acrobat Reader settings (not installed) use Acrobat DC, - No change

5495 - Validate & Super Validate - No Change (this instruction states Super Validation is done by holding down the CTL key and selecting Validation. My system requires CTL+SHIFT to Super Validate.

5497 - Replace all OS files with originals. Can't do this as only have hot spot phone connection and is slow.

4333 - Complete uninstall, remove all data files and directories and re install. - No change.

RAP will crash at a Varity of different points of the new code entry process. It ranges from:

1. As soon as I click on "NEW". or
  2. As soon as I select the drop down list, "Security Type", or
  3. As soon as I TAB out of the "TICKER SYMBOL" box, or
  4. click "NEXT"

I generally have to close all other programs, re boot the PC and after 10 to 15 attempts, I can get it in. Apart from the significant frustration, I have found it is subconsciously affecting my trading, I am avoiding trading companies I have not traded before purely to avoid the hassle with RAP and a new stock code.

Any help in shining a light on a remedy will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi Kevin,

I know this might sound a bit silly but can you please do me a favour and shorten your file name to something shorter than 8 characters. Once you've done that, restart your PC and then open Personal Plus again and test if the same behaviour persists.

Hopefully that alleviates some of these issues but let me know how you get on.

Cheers

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kevin_9915502
    Kevin_9915502 Member Posts: 23

Hi Rav,

Thanks for reading my post. I have renamed my data file, file name is now "Kev_21", 6 chars and is 47,337kb in size. Re booted the computer (Dell laptop) opened the Security List window, Clicked NEW, crashed, error 7101.

Cheers,

Kevin

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me Kevin and sorry to hear it didn't provide the result we were looking for.

You've been through a fair bit of troubleshooting already which is great. I just wanted to clarify, you mentioned you've been through an uninstall/reinstall already. Was that a 'clean uninstall & reinstall' as outlined in this guide?

If not, can I get you to try that out and check off the steps in the guide. Hopefully that makes some form impact on this.

What OS and version are you currently running on your laptop?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

Kevin,

Could you send me a backup for me to open on my machine so as to eliminate the problem of it being on your machine.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Kevin_9915502

Hi Gerry,

Not keen on putting my full financial history out there. What I just did was opened a Reckon sample data file, Entered several stock codes without incident..... So this points to my data file is an issue. I have validated and Super Validated without any errors. What else can I do?

Cheers

Kevin

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

You may want to send it to Reckon Data Recovery.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Kevin_9915502

Who are they? Is that a function within the Reckon organisation?

Cheers

Kevin

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi Kevin,

We can take a look at the file to see if there is anything we can do to resolve the issue.

Note that there are no guarantees that the problem can be resolve.

• Kevin_9915502

Hello Reckon Data Recovery Team,

Request submitted.

Cheers,

Kevin