Re-installing doesn't bring data from previous installation

Options

I have a problem with one of my accounts in Reckon Accounts Home & Business failing to backup properly.

The backup appears to work but the program then can't reload the original file and I get a simple grey screen which doesn't ever load the original file.

Restoring the most previous backup seems to be OK but after re-keying a month of data I attempt to backup and the same problem occurs.

I tried reinstalling the program but I then have problem of much of my earlier data not appearing when the files are restored.

This is a MAJOR problem as I need to complete my BAS ASAP.

I had an hour chat with a consultant who got into my computer but couldn't solve the problem which he blamed on my using Dropbox for the main data storage.

Even moving the active files to my C:\ drive hasn't made any difference

Jim

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,225 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

I am working with client at the moment who is having similar issues, will talk to Reckon tomorrow and will keep you informed.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,225 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

It makes no difference where its backed up, i think its file specific.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• jimat
    jimat Member Posts: 5
    Options

Zappy

If I restore from the most recent backup file I get a grey screen and the program locks- "program not responding"

I can restore from the previous backup and that works.

if I rekey the new data ( a months worth which takes me several hours) and then try to run a backup I get all sorts of error messages starting with :-

" unable to close source files"

then Unable to open the data file

Then unable to reload the current file after copy

then a backup error occurred

then nothing- grey screen - "program is not responding" send to windows etc etc.

I have several accounts and the others seem to load correctly.

However I decided to re-install the program and now have problems with some of the other account missing data.

Further I tried to create a totally new version of the affected file but that doesn't work well because I can't work out how to create a QIF file to import the memorised transactions, categories etc.

Jim

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi Jim,

This may have already been covered however can you please shorten your file name to less than 8 characters if its a longer file name and see if that makes any difference.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• jimat
    Options

G'day Rav,

The original file name is already less than 8 letters.

The backup.rkn filename is longer as it has a date added.

Jim

• jimat
    Options

I have worked out where the problem is occurring.

Quicken Backup is corrupting the file!!

Once again I re-keyed the data . I then quit the program, copied the new files to a safe place and then tried to do a Quicken recommended backup to a rkn file.

And then I couldn't reload the active file.

By going to my saved copy I can find a working file.

See my post above for what happens when I try to backup as recommended by Reckon.

I have to say I have always had a love/ hate relationship with Quicken/ Reckon. And I have been using it for more than 20 years.

It really is a crap program now but unfortunately any good alternatives seem to require much more data entry than I want to commit to.

• jimat
    Options

This is a repeat of part of a discussion I began a few days ago re "reinstalling Quicken...".

My basic problem is that if I attempt to back one of my data files I am unable to reload the active file after an apparent failed backup.

I have worked out where the problem is occurring.

Quicken Backup is corrupting the file!!

Once again I re-keyed the data . I then quit the program, copied the new files to a safe place and then tried to do a Quicken recommended backup to a rkn file.

And then I couldn't reload the active file.

By going to my saved copy I can find a working file.

See my post above for what happens when I try to backup as recommended by Reckon.

I have to say I have always had a love/ hate relationship with Quicken/ Reckon. And I have been using it for more than 20 years. And I am an advantage customer which costs me almost $400 pa.

It really is a crap program now but unfortunately any good alternatives seem to require much more data entry than I want to commit to.

• GerryWinter
    Options

I think i can fix it for you.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• jimat
    Options

Gerry

I am all ears

Jim

• GerryWinter
    Options

Call me and we will work thru it.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"