Re-installing doesn't bring data from previous installation

I have a problem with one of my accounts in Reckon Accounts Home & Business failing to backup properly.

The backup appears to work but the program then can't reload the original file and I get a simple grey screen which doesn't ever load the original file.

Restoring the most previous backup seems to be OK but after re-keying a month of data I attempt to backup and the same problem occurs.

I tried reinstalling the program but I then have problem of much of my earlier data not appearing when the files are restored.

This is a MAJOR problem as I need to complete my BAS ASAP.

I had an hour chat with a consultant who got into my computer but couldn't solve the problem which he blamed on my using Dropbox for the main data storage.

Even moving the active files to my C:\ drive hasn't made any difference

Jim

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

I am working with client at the moment who is having similar issues, will talk to Reckon tomorrow and will keep you informed.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

It makes no difference where its backed up, i think its file specific.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• jimat
    jimat Member Posts: 5

Zappy

If I restore from the most recent backup file I get a grey screen and the program locks- "program not responding"

I can restore from the previous backup and that works.

if I rekey the new data ( a months worth which takes me several hours) and then try to run a backup I get all sorts of error messages starting with :-

" unable to close source files"

then Unable to open the data file

Then unable to reload the current file after copy

then a backup error occurred

then nothing- grey screen - "program is not responding" send to windows etc etc.

I have several accounts and the others seem to load correctly.

However I decided to re-install the program and now have problems with some of the other account missing data.

Further I tried to create a totally new version of the affected file but that doesn't work well because I can't work out how to create a QIF file to import the memorised transactions, categories etc.

Jim

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi Jim,

This may have already been covered however can you please shorten your file name to less than 8 characters if its a longer file name and see if that makes any difference.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• jimat

G'day Rav,

The original file name is already less than 8 letters.

The backup.rkn filename is longer as it has a date added.

Jim

• jimat

I have worked out where the problem is occurring.

Quicken Backup is corrupting the file!!

Once again I re-keyed the data . I then quit the program, copied the new files to a safe place and then tried to do a Quicken recommended backup to a rkn file.

And then I couldn't reload the active file.

By going to my saved copy I can find a working file.

See my post above for what happens when I try to backup as recommended by Reckon.

I have to say I have always had a love/ hate relationship with Quicken/ Reckon. And I have been using it for more than 20 years.

It really is a crap program now but unfortunately any good alternatives seem to require much more data entry than I want to commit to.

• jimat

This is a repeat of part of a discussion I began a few days ago re "reinstalling Quicken...".

My basic problem is that if I attempt to back one of my data files I am unable to reload the active file after an apparent failed backup.

I have worked out where the problem is occurring.

Quicken Backup is corrupting the file!!

Once again I re-keyed the data . I then quit the program, copied the new files to a safe place and then tried to do a Quicken recommended backup to a rkn file.

And then I couldn't reload the active file.

By going to my saved copy I can find a working file.

See my post above for what happens when I try to backup as recommended by Reckon.

I have to say I have always had a love/ hate relationship with Quicken/ Reckon. And I have been using it for more than 20 years. And I am an advantage customer which costs me almost $400 pa.

It really is a crap program now but unfortunately any good alternatives seem to require much more data entry than I want to commit to.

• GerryWinter

I think i can fix it for you.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• jimat

Gerry

I am all ears

Jim

• GerryWinter

Call me and we will work thru it.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"