Only Want to Enter Super with No Pay Amount

Options
Jill_10862213
Jill_10862213 Member Posts: 2
edited January 3 in Reckon Payroll 🚀

Thanks for that Rav. 

That answers my question if I want to pay extra Super for the employee during a pay run.

What I used to do in STP was for each pay run I would enter the Gross, the Withheld Tax (no Super entered) and that gave me the Net Pay.

Then at the end of each BAS I would pay a cumulative total Super amount for the employee – created as a new Pay Run and I didn’t need to enter anything other than the Super amount.

I don’t want to pay the Super with each pay run but as a one-off amount at the end of the BAS.

I tried to do just the Super on it’s own as a New Pay Run in the new Payroll App, and along with the Super amount, it calculated I have a negative Gross Amount for the employee – very confusing.

I hope I’m making sense and that my former method is still achievable.

Comments

• Joseph Li
    Joseph Li Member Posts: 499 ✭✭
    Options

@Jill That is not how I understand payroll works. Each pay run should have associated employer super amount. Subsequent to pay run submission liabilities are created in employer’s Balance Sheet for tax withheld and super. Payment of super and tax withheld would simply clear those liabilities. Payment of super is not a pay event.

Single Touch Payroll reports employer super liability, not the super amount paid by employer.

• swakhlu01 .
    swakhlu01 . Member Posts: 482 Payroll App Expert Payroll App Expert
    Options

@Jill As explained by Joseph Li, my understanding is ATO is constantly refining the requirements of STP reporting especially since 1st July 2021. Perhaps the old STP app allowed certain ways of reporting that were consistent with the ATO rules until end of FY2020-21. This is also the reason it has been retired now.

In your case it is important to understand the classfication of your employees in regard to "closely held" and "arms length" and what the respective payroll reporting obligations are. Payroll app in my opinion is structured to follow the current ATO reporting rules for STP. I am sure it can be used to fulfill your requirements but you will have to report Superannuation and tax obligations in Payroll when these become due (and not when you actually pay into employees accounts).

It might be worth speaking to your tax accountant to understand the full implications especially with STP 2 reporting being introduced by ATO in near future.