Accounts Enterprise VS Desktop

Options
Alex_10836088
Alex_10836088 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭

Hi - Our company file has become quite large and getting slow due to multiple years of use and ~500 weekly employees in payroll.

Everything seems to point to starting a new company file but don't want to do that and lose historical data (or have to open multiple files/versions etc). The software generally serves our needs well apart from this

Would the Enterprise version perform better in this case ?

Would we still be stuck with the manual file cleanup activities in Enterprise (or even Hosted?)

Comments

• PhuongDo
    PhuongDo Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Alex,

I don't think there is a good way to get around it if you want to keep all the historical data.

The enterprise version can help a bit but if your data file is big, it will be getting slower and slower still.

Phuong Do / Reckon Developer Partner

phuong@cactussoftware.com.au

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi Alex,

As Phuong mentioned, moving to Enterprise wouldn't really solve the core problem. It would give you higher limits along with other functionality but it won't impact performance.

To ensure you're getting the best performance out of your file I'd highly recommend putting a little bit of time aside and go through each of the steps in the help guide I've linked below.

Creating a portable company file should reduce the size of your file quite considerably but I'd definitely recommend performing the prior steps first so your file is optimised first.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Alex_10836088
    Alex_10836088 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Rav - unfortunately I've gone through most if not all of those options so thought maybe the Enterprise version might be the big brother upgrade. The original file is 1.5GB and portable goes down to 220MB but balloons back out to 1.5 again when restored.

TLG has been emptied/removed and only 6 file fragments. interestingly it states there's only 143350 transactions (which seems low) but there are 1618104 "Total Targets" and 485624 "Total Links" but i don't know what they are . . .

I've had a go at exporting and reimporting IIF files to prepare a new company file and process is quite straight forward but there's so much that doesn't come across to the new file that this is impractical (OS invoices for example).

Most of the performance seems to be file read/writes - even if running the file only locally (as opposed to over network in MU mode). CPU is high but not maxing out. PCs, Server and network are all 'modern' and nicely specced (SSD drives, GBps LAN etc)

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hmmmm ok. Let me tag my buddy @ReckonDataRecovery here to see if they have any other insights that might be beneficial for you.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Omar_ReckonLtd
    Omar_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 81 Reckon Staff
    Options

Hi Alex,

The only way to reduce the file size

A portable file (QBM) is a compressed copy of the file used only for moving it around as it is smaller than an uncompressed company data file (QBW).

An example of a transaction would be an INVOICE.

as an example the 'Targets' represent for each item line within that invoice

The 'Links' represent the records that associate/link each line of an invoice with a 'payment transaction'.

So for a file with 2 individual transactions, one being an invoice with 2 line, the other being payment applied against that invoice, you would end up with something like.

2 transactions

4 targets

2 links

The export/import process only deals with LISTS (Chart of Accounts, Items, Customers, Suppliers, etc) and does not involve any balances amounts or individual transactions (bills, cheques, invoices, payments, etc).

Moving your file from a Reckon Accounts Premier to a Reckon Accounts Enterprise desktop will only give you higher LIST limits, more functionality and reports but will not significantly make any difference to day-to-day performance.

You cannot create a new file and have in it all of the historical data from the original file, they would end up around the same size.

The only way to reduce the size of a company data file, would be to physically remove transactions typically from older periods. This is a chargeable data service that we can offer.

https://community.reckon.com/discussion/7945481/data-recovery-how-to-reduce-data-file-sizes-larger-than-500mb-for-reckon-accounts-business-range

You would need to decide what periods you actually need to be present in a file such as 'only the last 2 financial years' or 'last five financial years'.

This means that you would have one original file that has ALL of the historical data up to a given point (the historical file), then a second file which would be the 'current working file' that only has that specific period that is needed.

Any new work would be entered in the current working file and if you need to look back on older historical data that is not present in the current working file, you would have to separately open the older historical file.

If you would like us to take a look at the data file, submit a data service request https://www.reckon.com/au/support/data-services/ so we can provide you with instructions for how to send us the current data file (QBW).