Frequently Asked Questions - Payroll App Basic plan is retiring

Rav
Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
edited January 3 in Reckon Payroll 🚀

FAQ - The Basic plan for the Reckon Payroll App has been retired

Why is the Payroll App basic plan being retired?

Three years ago we launched the Reckon Payroll app with its primary focus to be easy STP submissions for Australian businesses. In the nearly 50 app updates since that first version, the Reckon Payroll app has evolved from an STP submission tool to a feature-rich payroll application with in-app STP submission.

However STP is changing, with the ATO mandating from 1 July 2023 Reckon Payroll must enforce STP Phase 2 reporting. The additional requirements to be included as part of STP Phase 2 will require you to have a Premium subscription to ensure the information submitted is compliant. As a result continuing to offer the basic tier after the implementation of STP Phase 2 is no longer possible.

How long can I use the Reckon Payroll App for STP Phase 1 submissions?

If you have a Reckon Payroll App account that was created before 16 December 2022, you will still have access to the Payroll App with the current basic plan tier available until 14 July 2023 which will allow you to perform your End of Financial Year submission.

I am currently a Premium plan subscriber, can I downgrade to the basic plan?

Premium plan customers will be able to downgrade to the basic plan until 30 March 2023. From 1 April 2023, the ability to downgrade will no longer be available.

What happens on 1 July 2023?

On 1 July 2023, if you are on the basic plan you will no longer be able to enter new data or make STP submissions. The Payroll App will still be accessible in read-only mode until 30 November 2023. All payroll functions and the ability to complete STP submissions will require a premium plan subscription.

What do I get with the premium subscription?

Premium plan subscribers have full access to all of the Payroll App's features and functionality including exclusive features such as pay schedules, employee pay setup, enhanced super configuration, live chat support and even web access!

Check out the post linked below for a full breakdown of premium-exclusive features.

How much does the premium plan cost?

The premium plan is great low cost option at only $9.99 per month

I am an existing basic plan user, do I get any discount for switching to premium?

Yes! We're super excited to let you know of our Early bird offer! Get 50% 12 months of Reckon Payroll Premium if you upgrade before 31 March 2023. Offer is available in-app.

What is the future of the Reckon Payroll App?

We know the Reckon Payroll app is a vital tool for Australian businesses. Catering to employers with 1 to over 100+ employees we are committed to further enhancing the functions and usability of the Reckon Payroll app.

Over the next few months we will be releasing:

• The ability to configure your payroll company for STP Phase 2
  • Employee bank details
  • Company bank details
  • Additional leave types
  • Termination Pays
  • Lump sum tax for additional payments
  • Lump sum tax for redundancies
  • SSO with Apple, Microsoft, and Google.
  • Additional settings and configuration options

With much more planned for the months ahead.

If you have a question that hasn't been addressed above, please drop a comment below and we'll do our best to assist.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

Tagged:

Comments

• ClaudiaR
    ClaudiaR Member Posts: 10

Hi Rav, I’ve received an email saying the Reckon Basic Payroll will no longer be available from 31st March. I’m using the basic payroll as there’s only one employee (myself). We don’t need to use additional features or do reports or anything else apart from submitting my wages to the ATO. We have a very basic system as my wages are written into a wages book. It says I need to upgrade to the premium payroll. Does that mean I need to pay for this? Or is there a free option again.

Thank you

Claudia

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @ClaudiaR

I've moved your post over to this FAQ as there is a fair bit of detail above that expands a bit more on the email and hopefully makes things a bit clearer.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• ClaudiaR
    ClaudiaR Member Posts: 10

Thank you Rav. That’s answered my question.

• Erin_10865177
    Erin_10865177 Member Posts: 7

If I am using Reckon one how do I know what payroll option I’m am using?, I have logged in and followed the prompts to find the upgrade option and don’t seem to be able to find it, does this upgrade not refer to Reckon One?,

please help

Erin

• Rav

Hi @Erin

Reckon One is a completely separate service to the Reckon Payroll App and is not affected by the changes outlined above 🙂

• swakhlu01 .
    swakhlu01 . Member Posts: 482 Payroll App Expert Payroll App Expert

It is a shame Reckon Payroll basic will be withdrawn. This will be an unnecessary burden on micro employers who were enticed into taking up free STP software by the ATO. There may not be much impact of STP phase 2 reporting impost on such employers with usually 1 to 2 employees and yet they will be paying same cost for it as other larger employers.

Reckon should reconsider and retain free Basic version with STP2 upgrade for 1 to 2 employee businesses.

• faigey
    faigey Member Posts: 37

I also am using the Reckon basic payroll as there’s only one employee (myself) and its free.

The recommendation on recently shown Webinar "Getting up to speed on Single Touch Payroll Phase2" is to delay upgrade until after June 30 this year in order to avoid complexities and possible duplication of data.

So if there is no other option then I will indeed upgrade to the Premium option after June. Having said that , then I am assuming I will not be eligible to take advantage of "Get 50% 12 months of Reckon Payroll Premium if you upgrade before 31 March 2023". This seems unfair .

Can you please clarify/confirm my understanding.

Thanks

• Rav

@faigey

I wasn't in attendance in that webinar so I'll need to double check with the team but my understanding was that point was in relation to our Reckon Accounts Desktop & Reckon Accounts Hosted software as those have specific upgrade releases and time periods to do so. The Payroll App differs from those software versions as you don't need to perform any upgrades yourself (aside from any app updates which are usual) since the tax tables and financial year switchover is all handled within the software for you.

We'll be holding a Payroll App-specific webinar that will provide an overview on STP Phase 2 soon so stay tuned for that but my recommendation to you would be not to delay your switch to the Premium plan and miss the 50% off promo.

• asroilpans
    asroilpans Member Posts: 1

Hi Rav

I currently use the free Reckon Payroll App, given that it will be retired causing small business to now pay for the Premium version i would prefer to change to the Reckon Payroll rather than the App.

Can I migrate all my data from the App across to Reckon Payroll easily?

• Rav

Hi @asroilpans

Are you referring to Reckon One?

Just a quick note, the Reckon Payroll App's premium plan allows you to access and use your account on a PC as you would with Reckon One and its slightly cheaper as well at $9.99 (or $4.99 for 12 months with the current promo) vs $12 per month on Reckon One.

• ldesousa
    ldesousa Member Posts: 2

Hi Rav

I'm starting up a new business, initially with just me as the employee. I know I need an ATO compliant STP payroll solution and I know that I have some BAS activity statements to complete every quarter as there will be insurance products (& similar) that I procure which include GST.

At this stage, I want to keep costs to a minimum, as I better understand my reporting and similar commitments. What would you suggest was the minimal Reckon solution that I need to procure please? Is it just the Payroll App?

Thanks

Lloyd

• Rav

Hi @ldesousa

The Payroll App is an excellent low-cost solution for you to enter the world of payroll and STP for your new business. The Payroll App is STP Phase 2 compliant already so you'll be covered in terms of the new requirements on reporting.

You've mentioned BAS so I'll just add, the Payroll App is purely a payroll-only solution. If you're looking something a little wider in regard to features/functionality, then I'd suggest taking a look at Reckon One which I'll link HERE. Its a cloud service just like the Payroll App but has the ability to do a bit more eg. invoicing, cashflow management, track expenses etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• ldesousa
    ldesousa Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the quick response Rav.

Could I just clarify, do the Reckon One offerings include STP payroll or would it be a case of having the Payroll App and in addition having a Reckon One solution too?

• Rav

Reckon One is a self-contained, separate service so you'd only be subscribing to that and not the Payroll App 🙂