(MAPI error code 00000000 (0) at line 921 in sendmail.cpp)

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Hey Reckon Accounts Team,

We have come across this issue recently where we try to email invoices and this error pops up instead of our email client. We are running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, our email client is Outlook 2016 and we are using Reckon Premiere Edition 2017. We have set Outlook to be our default email program in Windows and are running both Reckon accounts and Outlook as Administrator. Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of Lachlan

Lachlan

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Inconvenienced

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Lachlan,

Thanks for asking.

A few questions.
When did this problem first emerge?  Were you able to send successfully previously?
Does this problem occur on just one PC or on all PCs?
Can you save the invoice to PDF successfully?

regards,
John.
Photo of Lachlan

Lachlan

John,

Thanks for the quick reply. 
The problem first came up early January this year, it only occurs on one PC of three and we can successfully save invoices to PDF 
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

• 1,184 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Lachlan, we too experienced it in December last year after a series of windows automatic updates. There was one particular update to Microsoft outlook that made the running as administrator not work. The only way I got our emails working again was by going through the updates around that time and removing any relating to outlook. I tried it on one machine and when I found which update was the culprit, I was able to remove that particular update from all our other machines. Now all working again. Might be worth a look at your microsoft office updates.
Photo of CHRIS WILLOX

CHRIS WILLOX

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
i deleted any updates relating to outlook but the problem still exists for me. Is there anything else i can try?
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Chris, have you tried the running both Reckon software and your email software as " Administrator ". This is not the ideal solution but it has worked for me where nothing else has. Still a workaround, increases chance of users making changes they shouldn't and doesn't avoid the annoying popup but at least we can use ours.
Photo of CHRIS WILLOX

CHRIS WILLOX

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi orkun, yes i have tried signing in both as administrator but it still will not work. Reckon state they have technical issues so it is impossible for them to ring me back???? Do you have any other thoughts?
Photo of Lachlan

Lachlan

Orkun, 

Will check this out thank you.
Photo of John G

Thanks Lachlan,

Is there any reason why you are running both RAB and Outlook as Administrator?  Both programmes being the latest version do not need to be Run as Admin.  Are the other 2 PCs configured to Run as Admin?

regards,
John
Photo of Lachlan

Lachlan

John, 

We have done so due to recommendations on similar issues others have had on this site. We do not run as administrator on any other machine.

We have just tried what Orkun has suggested and have fixed the issue... for now.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

John, the workaround of running both Reckon software and Outlook has been ongoing since Win10 first came out. I have been told to run both in admin mode by Reckon Technical Support. We run 9 workstations and a server on RAE 2017. Admittedly we are running Outlook 2017 as part of Office Enterprise 2017 package. 

Glad it worked Lachlan
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Sorry John that should have been Outlook 2007 as part of the OE 2007 package...
Photo of Lachlan

Lachlan

John,

Another thing to note that we had found when playing around a bit today was that if we had outlook completely closed then pressed the email button in Reckon it would open outlook without the error. But if you had outlook open then the error would persist.
Photo of John G

Hello Orkun, Lachlan

Yes the recent updates to Outlook have caused some difficulties for some users and deleting that update is the workaround.

regards,
John
Photo of John G

Hi Fiona,
Nice to hear from you again after such a long time. 

From the information you've provided you may be in a slightly different position than others on this thread (and other similar ones).  It would be better to call Technical Support directly and determine your exact situation and get options that will be appropriate for you. 

But if your situation is the same, then its Windows Update 1709 (first released early December, but you may have got it sometime later) and other feature updates onwards that need to be removed (security updates should be OK).  Otherwise have both Outlook and Reckon Accounts running as Admin, as Orkun suggested in one of his posts.  Another workaround is to use webmail. 

Hope to get you through this issue soon. 

regards,
John.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

John, I see your description is " Information Support Analyst ". Does that mean you are employed by Reckon/associated entity or are you an independent Accredited Partner/equivalent ?  The reason I ask is that I would really like to know if the development team is working on this issue at all with a view to a fix. It has been ongoing for about 3-4 years and has angered a lot of people That is at least 3-4 new releases and probably the same amount of updates/fixes with no positive outcome. For me with 9 workstations, 1 server and 14 staff it is a real issue as we email so many invoices and statements. If no fix is pending I seriously need to have a look at the possibility of changing my accounting package after 18 years with Reckon. if no possibility of a permanent fix is even on the horizon.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 38,584 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
A lot longer than 4 years Orkun. By my calendar its closer to eight years. Maybe more.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Kevin I hung on to XP literally to the last second.  I put a notebook on to win 7 and it was too glitchy for my liking so i made sure nothing went further. XP did not have the email issues for me. They came about when xp was actually dead in the water and i had no choice but to move to win10 so I was one of the lucky ones
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Russell

You can still run XP mode under Windows 7
Photo of John G

Hello Lachlan,

Its very unusual that problems occur with Outlook open and not with Outlook closed - usually the experience is the other way around.

It suggests that there is an issue with the Windows profile being used on that PC.  Create a new profile (with admin privileges) and log in with it and does the problem still occur?

regards,
John.
Photo of Kevin Russell

John it has happened AGAIN after I installed Reckon 2018. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with tech support. Got nowhere. Please can we have a fix. Please. Please. All these temporary fixes aren't helping. It needs to be once and for all. Thank you.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Rav, fyi this problem I am experiencing was escalated back in 2016. Dean and Neil ( I am pretty sure that is about as high as I can go ) were looking into it and we had many emails back and forth. Due to ATO updates becoming a priority at the time the matter was sidelined. Now from sideline I am at a dead end. After a long relationship with Reckon ( Quickbooks going right back to V2.0 ) I am at my wits end with this emailing issue. The number of invoices, quotes, remittances etc that we email in a day and add a few seconds of delay and screen switching to each one for 8 people is a lot of time wasted when you add it up. Add that to the fact that now I cannot email at all and I am using the latest office and current Accounts 2017 ( wont be upgrading to 2018 till end of financial to avoid any problems ) Surely this can be escalated to a priority 1 seeing as there appear to be a few people experiencing this issue and it has been ongoing for a number of years. 
Photo of Kevin Russell

Rav with respect there needs to be a better response. What kind of testing is happening inside Reckon before the product is released? As mentioned from the moment I installed Reckon 2018, the problem which I had fixed after several hours, came back again. Have you discussed this issue with Microsoft? Or do we need to start looking for a new Office suite? The error tells me to ensure Office is my default email client. It is already.
(Edited)
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Ahhhh Kevin that is the main reason I am holding off on 2018. With only 2 months to go till end of financial year something tells me that I should wait till we rollover to new financial before I cause myself and 9 pc's any more grief than is already being experienced. By July I imagine we will have a release 2 to fix the round 1 bugs as usual anyway.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Yes Orkun I understand your anxiety. Im still waiting for an answer as to why this keeps happening. I dont want to hear about kb articles. I want the software to work.
Photo of Vittorio Piacente

Vittorio Piacente

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
lol, guy this is the standard reply these guys give you! This issue id like 3 years old, reckon do not care. Your wasting your time with them, I really wonder how they are getting paid.?
I went through all this with them 6months ago.
I just save the file and manually attach.
I will do this for as long as i can, but i will never buy another reckon product, and i refuse to go cloud.
Business data is all for sale online, nothing is untouchable.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Rav. Answers please. My Reckon 2018 still wont work. I cannot upgrade any of my clients if I have to waste hours fixing their email issues again. Its not a productive use of my time or theirs
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Rav,
Someone did call me at 10.50 this morning and left a message to call "Shane". I did call Reckon straight back and unfortunately I got through to what appeared to be an offshore call centre that didn't know a "Shane" and said they will have to organise a call back. I have to say I am not overly confident about the call back with the confused answers I was getting from reckon technical support consultant. I miss the early days when it was Quickbooks and all support was in Sydney.  It gave one a much higher level of confidence and it did'nt feel like a typical Telstra call.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

An update on the emailing issue....

The positive - Yesterday afternoon 'Shane' from Reckon did indeed call me and after nearly an hour of logging into my notebook and trying different things he did get my emails flowing. Office 365 running as administrator & Reckon running as administrator. I still have the annoying 'Switch To' screen pop up with every email and I have to hit retry but at least I have emails now.

The negative - Unfortunately it was not so good news on remaining 9 workstations. They are running Office Enterprise 2007 and emails use the Outlook 2007 component within that package.  both running as administrator. Shane's recommendation was to purchase office 2017 for these 9 pc's and run them all as administrator. He said that should fix the issue but if for some reason if it doesn't then to email him.

Now my question is why do reckon with their annual renewals or even with their website, packaging etc not state that anything before Outlook 2017 will not work with their software. It would make sense to put a warning if there is a known issue.

If I was to purchase a full 2017 package of office and then say by some miracle that I did get them going with emails, I still have to use a "Workaround". Running both as administrator not recommended by Microsoft but only way to use Reckon Accounts & I still have to put up with that annoying " Switch To" pop up. We send approximately 120-150 emails per day and that extra click on the popup to hit retry is the biggest waste of time. Shane tells me that there is nothing Reckon can do about it and that even he gets that popup. That tells me that after at least 4 years of an unwanted popup, Reckon Development Team are not putting enough resources into that particular fix. It is not a feature of the software, it serves no purpose, it wastes time clicking out with every email and therefore is a fault or glitch. 

On the issue of running as administrator, I am not comfortable with this either after 4 years. What is to stop random staff from making accidental software changes on workstations. Is that not what the purpose of " Run as Administrator " ? To stop any changes being made that shouldn't be. Running as administrator should have been a temporary workaround some 4-5 years ago and not a permanent fixture of the software for life. 

I have just paid my $4500 for the next 12 months being the full price of subscription however I am still using a broken or faulty product in my Reckon Accounts package. It does not do what it is supposed to do without compromising security utilising workarounds that still don't 100% fix the issue.

Rav, I would value your input seeing as you seem to be the Reckon representative here. I am frustrated, this is a waste of my time, I am not getting what I paid for and there is no guarantee that if I spend thousands of dollars to upgrade my Office suite, that I will have a 100% functional accounts package. My personal notebook running office 365 still has  an irritating popup with every email. Our office 2007 suite works 100% with every other facet and our emails work 100% on their own. Reckon Accounts emailing is broken and in more ways that one. This needs to be escalated to a priority 1. Enough of the workarounds. 
Photo of Kevin Russell

Correct Orkun. It should be higher than number one priority. It should be priority ZERO.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Rav, 

This is my new notebook, current office 365 running as administrator, Reckon accounts running as administrator.... I have over 9k emails and I cannot search for an email without logging out and back in and back out and back in.... please tell me this is not what a company like Reckon expects customers to do. I am still waiting on some input into the above. Maybe Dean or Neil can weigh in on this. Escalation is a must here not a possibility !
Photo of Sue Barton

Sue Barton

• 476 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can we PLEASE have a fix for this problem which has been ongoing. I have not installed the 2018 update as I am still dealing with the issue of not being able to email from RA since the Windows update in early January, and don't wish to compound the problem. We pay good money for a program that half works!
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 59,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sue,
I am currently speaking with our support and product teams about this thread, can you specify which update you are referring to.
Photo of Sue Barton

Sue Barton

Hi Rav, I am referring to the Windows 10 update in January.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 59,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sue. I understand that, however what is the name/number of the Windows update you are referring to specifically that has caused email functionality to break?
Photo of Sue Barton

Sue Barton

Rav, I am not an IT person, it was an update early in Jan. I would not know where to look to find what update was installed. It was working perfectly prior to the Windows 10 update.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Rav, I might just poke my nose in here. Unfortunately I didn't keep the relevant update details either but they were Microsoft office updates. One in late 2017 and one in early 2018. For some reason when uninstalling I found 2 different updates that affected different pc's. Both were Outlook component updates.
(Edited)
Photo of John G

Hello Everyone,

As a result of some discussions with our developers and IT, they have a request........

"Can I get a copy of the latest version of Accounts and a test database? I'll see if there's anything obvious we should be looking at.  One question unanswered in that thread is which version of Office is being run.

Could you please have users experiencing the problem provide:

1.  Windows version (Start > Run > winver > OK)

2. Office version (open Outlook > File > Account > About Outlook)

"

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your further assistance.  Please send information to community@reckon.com.

thanks & regards,

John.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Hi john

This question has previously been asked and answered in several threads relating to this exact problem, however combining all the answers in 1 place such as an email is probably a good idea. It seems in this community, only some replies are acknowledged and some are just plain ignored by supposed moderators I have found. 

We have 2 versions of office on 2 different operating systems over 10pc's but I will gladly email details as requested to above address. Anything in the name of a resolution.... 

Would they like screenshots to verify versions or will typed replies be sufficient ?
Photo of John G

Thanks Orkun,

Screenshots will be great - if there is need for further detail its there for the techs.  

regards,
John.
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 2,966 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi All. I just helped a client with this issue.
Perhaps will help solve for others....

Environment:
New computer Windows 10 Pro
MS Office Home & Business 2013
Reckon Accounts 2018 (Desktop Product)

The new computer had MS Office 365 pre-installed at factory, but not activated

MS Office 2013 was installed and activated
BUT - When trying to send email from RA the error occurred

Even though Office 365 had not been activated, the computer was still trying to use Outlook (part of Office 365), instead of Outlook 2013

In this case the fix was to un-install the pre-installed Office 365. Look in Programs for things like Office 365, Office Apps etc.

RA then correctly sent emails using Outlook 2013
Photo of Sue Renouf

Sue Renouf

• 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi other MAPI sufferers,
After trying all the suggested fixes I have been told by Reckon tech support to uninstall Outlook and Reckon 2018 and reinstall and try again. Has anybody had this advice, and if so, any success with it? 
Regards,
Sue Renouf
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Sue, I was given this advice but 

1/. the current installation on my new notebook is a clean install of 2018 Accounts and Office 365 and is experiencing the same issues. By running both as administrator I can email ( albeit with the popup each time ) but 

2/. I am not prepared to do a " clean install " on our server and 8 workstations. Reckon recommend a " clean install " which means clean all registry etc so you will need to contact the software providers to reactive software as no doubt the maximum activations will have been used. That is unless Reckon can guarantee me that this will work without the dreaded popup. As we are the guinea pigs for this problem and cannot afford downtime of workstations.
Photo of Sue Renouf

Sue Renouf

Thanks Orkun,

I had read all the posts, tried all the tricks suggested and I have tried starting both programs in admin but to no avail. The client doesn't know where the Outlook software program disks/keys are. This machine is running Windows 7 because of other software requirements.
I am going there today (on my own time) and try on other workstations with other operating systems, just in case one does work. This is such a glitch!

Really appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Sue Renouf
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 38,100 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sue alls I can say is good luck because it seems that is all that works. Reckon unfortunately do not know what is causing this. They can try to help but offer no guarantees
Photo of Sue Renouf

Sue Renouf

You mean the opening with both programs as Admin Kevin? Or the re-installation of the software?
Does it make a difference if you are logged in as Admin on the computer? I am not sure of that situation and will check that today.
Photo of Kevin Russell

I have installed as Admin and I run Outlook and Reckon as Admin. The moment I installed Reckon 2018 it upset everything all over again. This bug should be fixed
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Hi All. I have been using Quickbooks / Reckon products for 10 years.
From Windows 7 / Reckon 2008 onwards to Windows 10 / Reckon 2018
Several things could be causing this issue.
So I have put together a check-list of possible issues

NOTE: I have NEVER had to use "Run as Administrator"

Here are issues I have discovered over the years
Any of these could be causing the issue:

Windows Operating System - MUST be Professional version. Standard or "Home" editions have issues with Reckon Products

Windows User account should be an administrator (maybe not critical ?, but I would recommend)

Microsoft Office Products - Only ONE MS Office installation on the computer.
Remove old versions or pre-installed versions of Office.
Also remove other email programs eg Thunderbird, Windows Mail etc

Windows Settings
(Using Windows 10 as example. Same settings in Windows 7 / 8 but screens are different):
Make sure Outlook is the default email program
Check Here...

And here. Make sure Outlook is default for all file types it can handle

In Reckon - Check this setting in Preferences:
"Display each email before sending"
This will force Outlook to open the email for editing etc before sending

Operation:
Have Outlook and Reckon open at the same time. I have seen issues when Reckon tries to send email, but Outlook is not open

Hope that helps somebody...........
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 38,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Steve that's nice but I can assure you I have tried all the above. And I don't usually need to tick that preference within Reckon either. All that you mentioned is set out in the various support notes over the past 10 years. I've been using Reckon / QB since 1999 by the way. Also the issues have changed over the years. Thanks for your feedback. 
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

I attended one client this morning with this issue. Ticked the box "Display each email....". Changed nothing else and issue was fixed !
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Steve, my new notebook is running Clean Win 10 pro and office 365 with the free office trial etc all uninstalled and the display each email is ticked so it must be a default setting as I have not checked it. Reckon tech accessed my pc and the only way they could get my emails going after an hour of fluffing around was to set both programmes to run as administrator so I am guessing you have just been lucky. It's not everyone that is having problems but after 3+ years of workarounds Reckon need to find a solution asap
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 38,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Three? You mean ten
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

Ok Kevin you got me there, it's been that long I have lost track of time. I have had a knee reconstruction, a total hip replacement and 3 level spinal surgery in the time that Reckon have been trying to figure this out so you may be right. Lucky my surgeons are a little bit more dedicated to fixing problems than the Reckon development team, otherwise I would have been in a real pickle.
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

John, Rav ...... it seems you guys are representatives of Reckon so after 2 months of sending the information requested by John above I have not even received a confirmation of receipt. Can either of you advise us if details have been received and that there is someone looking into this. It would be nice to be kept informed rather than in the dark as usual. We are paying customers and we have a valid concern here.....
Photo of Sue Renouf

Sue Renouf

I had some success with Reckon 2018 running on a couple of older windows versions - I had the program set to run as Administrator. Then I went into the properties of Reckon Accounts and both were running in compatibility mode. I unticked this and restarted the computer and in both cases the emails worked without the error message. 
Photo of Kevin Russell

Sue that seems very odd. Thanks for the update
Photo of Sue Renouf

Sue Renouf

Or I might be a genius, Kevin.... I thought you might be able to test it. I didn't have to open Outlook as administrator and it still worked. 
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Sue, thank you. Anything s worth a shot at this stage. I had no problems with previous windows versions at all. My problems all came about with Win10. I wish I could go back to XP.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Sue or the issue you have might be different with the same symptom. You know what we say about assuming:)
Photo of Orkun Evren

Orkun Evren

JOHN ....... RAV ....... A reply would be appreciated and simple common courtesy at this stage. Otherwise what is the point of even having this page when you guys are going to be selective with who and what you reply to. Have you received the screenshots and information you requested ? Is there someone or something looking into it ? Is it dead in the water ? I am currently in the early stages of demolition and reconstruction of our premises and part of that is a complete new server / workstation layout with all new hardware for our state of the art new showroom. By the end of the year we will have 14-15 workstations and I seriously need to look at what I do with my software for the first time in 25 years as it has now become a headache and too much time is being wasted with " switch to " screens and email issues. 4 years is enough for me.... I am not going to install 15 brand new pc's with latest os, latest office and faulty software.