2020 lodgement error - 'A field contains invalid data (such as letters in numeric or date field). (CMN.ATO.GEN.XML03)'

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I am using latest reckon elite tax practice management version 1.20.7.0 and had lots of problem with 2020 individual tax returns during actual lodgement (no V errors shown within the software but will show in pre-lodgement validation) with above invalid character errors, some of which I fixed but seems like there is a bug causing the system to keep reverting to the original invalid characters without saving the corrected data once I got out of the payg summary worksheet area, is anyone experiencing the same issue or is it just me?
Cheers,
Paul
Photo of Paul Sun

Paul Sun

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Matthew K Lim

Matthew K Lim

• 60 Points
Hi Paul

I am Using MYOB 2020 and i am getting the exact same error message. I have no idea why this is happening because there were no validation errors in a clients return. I keep getting a 'rejected' message each time I tried to lodge the return. 

Photo of Shakhawat

Shakhawat

• 60 Points

The error is related to the blank "Number of account holders" field within the Interest Worksheet at Item 10 and/or the Dividend Worksheet at Item 11. This is a mandatory field. Include a value for "Number of account holders" and the return should lodge fine.

Photo of Paul Sun

Paul Sun

I rang up reckon support yesterday who advised that this error issue was known and an updated version of the software would be rolled out tomorrow (Thursday) which should fix this issue.

Mathew if MYOB is having the same issue then I suspect this must be caused by an ATO lodgement validation control requirement which is supposed to be implemented by all software providers to capture the error but probably not implemented correctly by various software providers. As a tax agent user of the software I am actually concerned with all the additional pre-lodgement validation controls together with more complicated and detailed inputs required the lodgement process and chance of errors/ bugs will become a nightmare to fix and manage, which equates to more non value adding cost to everyone.

Cheers,
Paul
Photo of Hans Backory

Hans Backory

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agree seems to be bug in the software...Error - A field contains invalid data (such as letters in numeric or date field). (CMN.ATO.GEN.XML03)
this is driving me mad!! Elite is not keeping up... frustrating when you trying to lodge, such a waste of time when you have to check over and over with no mistake on the returns. issue with IR and also Rental Schedule
Photo of Paul Sun

Paul Sun

I suspect it is not Elite's fault, but instead I believe the root cause would have to be ATO's pre-lodge validation control requirements, getting crazily unnecessarily complicated. ATO has the budget from us taxpayers to hire numerous process and compliance related IT people trying to set up these type of worms and require compliance from software providers some or most of which would probably struggle to keep up because their objectives are to make a profit and living, same as us all, and not having unlimited budget from the government in the name of compliance whose goal is to spend it all then cry poor every year. Just not a viable business model creating inefficiencies and not enough checks and balances. Political problem.
Photo of Hans Backory

Hans Backory

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
New release that happened yesterday did not fixed the issue with elite, such a time waster thought of changing provider! Always have drama with Elite
Photo of Halima Nuer

Halima Nuer

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Did any one have the luck to fix that error? Reckon support is not helpful at all. 
Photo of tony.sesto

tony.sesto

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
check that the employer ABN is correct as per prefill

mine was wrong and entered the correct one and fixed the issue
Photo of Halima Nuer

Halima Nuer

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the response. I rang Reckon today and fixed the issue. The prefilling caused the problem. I deleted the (Prefill) word in PAYG schedule, then the error disappeared. 
Photo of Hans Backory

Hans Backory

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yes prefill was the issue
(Edited)