ABA File help

Options
Carmel Clarke
Carmel Clarke Member Posts: 19
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
RAH aba file is uploading fine to credit union but every single payment is showing as a separate payment on bank statement rather than a bulk figure like I am used to with RA desktop (so paying 50 suppliers in one aba file I end up with 50 transactions on bank statement). Would this be a RAH problem or something with my credit union?

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Carmel - Desk and Hosted are virtually the same product - so I am wondering if you have forgotten to do your Pay Bills (Online) using a suspense account and have instead selected the normal bank account?   

Most users who use the aba file creation process have a separate bank account (I call mine Online Transaction Suspense account) and then process Pay Bills to this account - the 50 transactions go there and then I clear this balance with a Write Cheque entry to the bank account - which is the single transaction you will tick when doing your bank rec?  hopefully this makes sense?
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Not only that, Carmel, as Linda has outlined, this works like a charm - the only way to do it.  I know of some people who did not care if there were 50 transactions on the bank statement as all they tended to do was to tick them all off and hope that this agreed with the single amount of your control file - definitely not the way to go
    John L G
  • Carmel Clarke
    edited January 2020
    Options
    In my desktop files I Pay bills from my clearing account, and transfer the bulk figure from my trading account to clearing acount, and reconcile it to zero. I  believe this is what  you are both explaining above.

My problem is with Reckon Hosted on the physical bank statement or transaction listing I receive from the bank each transaction is showing individually on bank statement as a separate transaction as if I haven't paid by ABA file upload at all (as if I have done say 50 pay anyone's). It does not show on the bank statement or bank transaction listing as the bulk figure for the ABA file. 
  • John Graetz
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Carmel.  This will likely have something to do with the way that your bank handles your imported file.  For one entity, I used Westpac and they automatically process it as a single entry.  There does not seem to be any option to do otherwise, that I can see.  Also, with Westpac, there is no ability to change the date if it has been inadvertently imported with the wrong date.  For another institution that I use, I have the option to select to post as a total or to post individual transactions - I select post as a total.  Not only that, but I also have the option to change the date of the transaction from what the imported file may have inadvertently stated,
    I don't know how other institutions handle incoming batch files, but I would have thought that there is an option somewhere, with the bank that you use, for you to select to post your imported batch to the bank account as a single total.
    John L G
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sorry Carmel - I have never heard of a bank doing this with an imported file before - so I misunderstood your question!  that is very strange?  John has more experience with this, but out of curiosity - which bank has this happened with?

• Carmel Clarke
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks. Well seems I can rule out RAH and persist with the bank. Actually it is a Credit Union that has only a few local branchs, but I have had touble with getting to talk to someone who may understand the problem. I will now persist. Yes I have used aba files with Westpac, CBA, ANZ & BOQ (with Reckon desktop) and never had this problem.

• John Graetz
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Carmel.  One of mine is also through the Credit Union system and, as part of the authorisation process, there is a box to tick as to whether to process the transactions on the account as individual ones or in bulk.  I am not saying that your institution does the same, but it is worth having a close look at the whole process.  Also, in my case, mine also has the option to change the date of the payment, whereas Westpac does not, which can be painful at times if setting up pays in advance.
    John L G ?
  • Carmel Clarke
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. Persisted with Credit union and now have an answer from someone in their tech department. Sorry our internet banking can not do that.... grrr