Access issues to the data file in multi user mode.

Gcd Fencer
Gcd Fencer Member Posts: 2
I am running accounts premier 2017 and have a problem access the data file. We are running two computers one is the server/host (we have had  our current system in place and working with no problems over 18 months) this issue happened about 4 weeks ago, when the data file is open on the host the other computer cannot open the data file and a message appears " cannot communicate with the company file, problem could be due to firewall settings" which is simply not the case. However the other computer can open the date file when the host computer doesn't have the company file open, but when I attempt to open the file on the host while it is open on the other computer, it wont and I get an error message and code (-6000,-80). Can anyone help?

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    So something happened 4 weeks ago - did operating systems change?  maybe a windows update turned on a firewall? did shared folder settings change?  did mapped drive letters change?  not something that can be fixed in a quick email - would need someone to look at the settings on the machine hosting the datafile to check that the services are running, the QBDataServiceUser26 is a user with full access to the shared folder etc... do you have a tech person who can help?  or call Reckon Tech support and have them walk you through checking all these settings?  or an Accredited Partner in your area who can visit or remote in to check setup?
  • Gcd Fencer
    Gcd Fencer Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Hi Linda, thanks all the points you mentioned plus more have been checked, isolated and double checked was putting it out there as a last attempt to remedy before engaging It support.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited October 2017
    Hello Gcd Fencer,

First step - delete the .ND file for your company file in your data directory.  Does the problem still happen when 2 users try to access the file?

Next, have one user open the file and check that the file is in multi-user mode - that is, under the File menu option you see the option Switch to single-user Mode.  If you see Switch to multi-user mode, click it.  Any difference?

Finally, ensure that only the host PC is hosting multi-user access.  Firstly, on the other PCs go to File > Utilities and you must see Host multi-user access.  If you see Stop hosting multi-user access, click on it.  Then on the host PC, go to File > Utilities and you must see Stop Hosting multi-user access.  If you see Host multi-user access click on it.  

Check out Error opening a company file on a QBi network for a full guide. 

If firewall messages are still received, check out Configuring my firewall/antivirus to work with Accounts Business in a multi-user environment.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John