Access to Accounts Hosted data file for expired subscriptions

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
Can you please advise how many years Reckon keeps an Accounts Hosted data file once a subscription lapses? (I have a client who migrated to other software a couple of years ago).

I have also read that a Desktop license is available that can be used to read the Accounts Hosted data files. My questions are;
1. How do I get the desktop version?
2. Can I/do I need to renew a lapsed subscription in order to be able to download the data file for viewing in the desktop version?

Many thanks for your help.
Photo of Glenn Bellingham

Glenn Bellingham

• 70 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 53,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did you write to psgsupport@reckon.com.au? The desktop version of hosted is avalable from your members area at reckon.com.au. You need your customer ID and Pin
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Kevin, I'm looking at transitioning to Xero, so if I'm to cancel my subscription, does that mean I can only access my data from the desktop version? Is it still available from the cloud as read-only?
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 52,664 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You won't have access to the online version. You'll need the desktop version of Enterprise
Photo of Kevin Russell

Be very careful about switching to Zero. You need to be very clear about why you want to change. I sell all the software. I'm product agnostic. Zero is more expensive and the reporting isn't as good. If it's the accountant who is pressuring you, make him justify it. I like all the software. Changing without a compelling reason is a huge mistake.
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

Thanks Kevin. I use RECKON HOSTED and that's more expensive than XERO plus there's the cost of the bank feeds. At With RECKON HOSTED, I've had problems with customer support and bank feeds. Eg. bank feeds not downloading, bank feeds duplicating and you can't delete the duplicates, feeds not downloaded automatically, etc. I've had to learn XERO to support a friend who uses the product (I do basic book-keeping on the side) and found the customer support and bankfeeds very good. I don't do many reports, so I'm not too fussed about that. My mine thought about transitioning was because of the time it takes to get a problem handled (I've had incorrect advice from customer support which has caused big problems) and the ongoing problems with bank feeds - which I want to keep using.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Zero IS more expensive than hosted. There is NO customer support other than email. Maybe you aren't using payroll or inventory. Have you looked at Reckon One?
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

I'm a sole trader and I chose HOSTED because it had CLASSES so I could run P&Ls by class. I did look at Reckon One but they don't have a class function (or should I say they just released it though it can't be used in reports yet). I don't use INVENTORY (though I use service ITEMS for invoicing) and don't use PAYROLL.
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

I've also reported several bugs / glitches to Reckon over the years and they've never been resolved so I've always had to use "work-arounds". I've found very little "development" in HOSTED over the past few years and find this frustrating. The focus seems to have switched to RECKON ONE and I feel the HOSTED platform is being ignored.
Photo of Kevin Russell

I don't use bank feeds with hosted. I don't recommend it either. It's too easy for me to download the bank files and import them. The hosted platform probably has a limited lifespan but it does also have some nice add ons. I spose it's a function of your needs and your budget. I'm product agnostic. I'll only recommend the product I believe is the best fit based on the requirements and based on the customers existing infrastructure. I never recommend based on what I will make out of the deal unlike some accountants
(Edited)
Photo of Jay Garland

Jay Garland

Yes - I do like the HOSTED platform (despite the bugs and glitches). I don't see it getting much attention and now that Xero have a CLASS function and I've needed to learn it to support someone else, it seems good timing to transition. Several years ago when I transitioned from QuickBooks, I looked at Reckon One, Xero, MYOB and Hosted and Hosted came out the winner. The landscape is changing and it's coming up to the end of the financial year so I'm seriously considering the switch before financial year end. I'll sit with it a little longer before taking action. Thanks for your input.