Accessing Reckon Data File in Reckon Professional Edition version?

Bakaka Bakaka
Bakaka Bakaka Member Posts: 7
edited April 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Reckon Professional Services for the Premiere version and requested for two licenses so i can have one computer to access the data file from the main host (where the reckon is also installed with the normal installation).

On the main host - it has a static IP address and so now i have gone and installed the server version of Reckon on my second PC.

I am having trouble communicating the two - so far i have come across this but i cant seem to configure. Please can some one advise me what must i do in order to have the secondary PC to have access to the main pc's reckon data file?

Please advise.

Thank You.
Bakaka

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited April 2017
    Bakaka.

Consider the main server computer that you want to be your main, primary machine,  where you will be storing the COMPANY DATA file (the  xxxx.QBW   file).    On that machine, you can use the screenshot image of the "server Manager" program to do the following steps to ensure the Data FIle (the xxxxxx.QBW)  is made available to the rest of the network (the other PC's)./

a)  click the ADD FOLDER button,  to locate and find the Windows FOLDER where you are storing the  xxxx.QBW file

b)  then click the SCAN button (mid way down the right side of that screenshot)
    You should observe one or more  xxxx.QBW  files appear in the lower part of the screen.

c) As well as the above steps being needed for RECKON to share the DATA files between users,  you also need to ensure that WINDOWS is sharing the FOLDER from an operating system viewpoint.   So, on the Main SERVER,  use Windows Explorer to locate the FOLDER in question, and RIGHT-CLICK and setup "SHARING' to the users on the network you want  (maybe evein:  "Everyone" - depending on security concerns on your Local Area Network).

d) Now, on the Main Server computer,  start up Reckon Accounts,  and open up you company DATA FILE (which would be in the same folder that you scanned above in step (a).     

e)  Once that is running, be sure that you set the file to be in MULTI-USER mode.    (under the FILE menu).

f)  Once that is done,  you should be able to go over to the SECOND PC,  and run the RECKON program from there, and browse the network for the Windows SHARED FOLDER where the DATA files are stored,  and select the cmpany DATA file found there,  for OPENING.

That's it. 

There are some Knowledgebase articles on all this too.

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac
    “Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”