Account balance has changed from 2 weeks ago but can't find source in audit trail

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I printed out a balance sheet a 2 weeks ago, and have made a few changes to older transactions since.  Now when I reprint the balance sheet, the Accounts Receivable balance has changed by a few dollars.

I am familiar with using the Audit Trail function to find changes made to transactions, but I can't seem to find anything that would cause the balance on this account to change.

I have filtered the Entered/Last modified dates to only include the last 2 weeks and the transaction date filter is set to include the whole 2 years up to 31/03/2018 but only 1 transaction shows up.  The values (both total sum, and also the individual components) of this sale transaction were the same the "prior" as they were in the "latest".

I also had  Profit & Loss report from the same time and interestingly this report was exactly the same as it was 2 weeks prior (I would have thought for Accounts Receivable to have changed, then the income would have changed also?).

Any ideas?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

  • 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

  • 6,284 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Are you able to upload any screen dumps? - also if you run the Balance sheet report - then drill down into the accounts receivable  - now click Modify Report - change dates to All, add the columns for Entered/Modified, and then sort by Enterered/Modified... then all the entries that were modified most recently should be at the bottom - this may help you to narrow your search?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

  • 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Linda, that was a good idea.  Unfortunately it didn't bring anything up.....

I included every transaction from when we started the business (so accounts receivable started with a 0.00 balance) up until the end of the financial year.

When I sorted by Entered/Modified, the last transaction showing was modified 20/08/18, 8 days before I ran the earlier balance sheet (28/08/18) - but shows the same ending balance of the later current balance sheet report!?
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

  • 6,272 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
hmm... then is it possible you deleted something?  check your audit trail again and go to the bottom where all the deleted entries show up (if you tick to show them)... and see if you can figure it out from there?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

  • 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well that's what I thought, but I made sure I ticked "show deleted entries" and there are some deleted entries showing up.  I have even exported ALL transactions to CSV file where I can use Excel to sort and filter more effectively but no luck.  Sounds a bit dodgy that this is possible!
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

  • 6,272 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yes, it sounds a bit strange... assume the Balance sheet actually balances?  ie net assets equals equity?  if not, then there may be a corrupt entry causing the out of balance situation?  do you happen to have a copy of the file from prior? or a copy of the AR Ageing report?  so you can compare each customer with how they look now?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

  • 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Linda!  I don't know why I didn't think of opening a backup file!

I have found the cause now, I just don't understand it properly though....

I had been fixing up some negative quantities from items that had been sold without a build assembly being done first.

Here are the journal entries for the invoice that caused it...



Item 3 must have had an average cost of $7.00 at the time the sale was originally entered.  When I recently used build assemblies to build the item (with a build date the day before it was sold) the average cost price has dropped to $5.98

$1.02 was the difference between the Accounts Receivable balance of my 2 reports.

So I presume the Inventory Asset & COGS accounts have therefore changed due to the First In First Out method that Reckon uses.  And that makes sense why it wouldn't show in the audit trail - because the invoice itself hadn't actually been modified directly.

What confuses me though, is I thought it was the total invoice value of $126.85 that went to Accounts Receivable (the sale price rather than the cost price).

When I look at the journal for this invoice from 2 weeks ago (had $7.00 rather than $5.98) the total is still $126.85.  So I wouldn't have thought that carrying out build assemblies would change the Accounts Receivable account.