accounts premier 2013 outright license

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I purchases Reckon Premier Professional Services Edition w/3 licenses purchased outright in 2013. Over the phone I was told the premier server had been discontinued and I needed to buy a new 'outright' license for another 1098$ as I will not do cloud based or have an annual.  I have already paid for an outright license?!? I rang the ombudsman today and they agreed this breaks the terms of contract with outright license.  Has anyone else had to do this? What was the solution other than re-purchasing what you already purchased?
Photo of Amanda Wood

Amanda Wood

• 70 Points
  • frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 54,292 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The ombudsman doesn't deal with trade practices.
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

• 16,500 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Amanda - do you have any employees and use the payroll functionality?
Photo of Kevin Russell

Linda that's not relevant at all. If you buy a full licenses in good faith, it should stay that way.
Photo of Larissa

Larissa

• 758 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I had this happen to a client.  He was using 2003..  yes, you read it right - 2003.  It was the best thing for him to upgrade but we went with another provider so is sort of back-fired on Reckon as they lost a customer (in a way).
Photo of Marinus Brugman

Marinus Brugman

• 60 Points

Same happened to me, received an email to say "We would like to inform you that your Reckon Accounts desktop software has expired and will cease to operate on 6 October 2019"
The full price was paid for an outright licence which when activated was valid till January 2, 2030.
Now when checking my licence the customer number has been removed and the end date altered to 6 October 2019 in line with the email.
This is not ethical and I will follow up with ombudsman on consumer affairs. 
Photo of Kevin Russell

The ombudsman DOESNT deal with consumer law
Photo of Glenda Veale

Glenda Veale

• 2,420 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Me too. Not sure what we can do. Don’t want to upgrade this version works perfectly for this client. No payroll required.
Photo of Chetan

Chetan

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am in the same situation. I have Accounts Plus 2018 R1 outright and few weeks ago my company file corrupted. The data recovery restored the file but upgraded the file to Account Plus 2018 R2. Now I cant open the file because I am still on R1. Rang technical support and they said they no longer support 2018 R2 and I have to upgrade to Accounts Plus 2019 R2 to be able to open the file and pay yearly $590. I run a small business and they have put me in an awkward situation by forcing me on to annual subscription!! THATS JUST UNETHICAL!! 

I have also noticed they have removed the upgrade link for outright customers to upgrade to Account Plus 2019 from estore now. This puts 5 years worth of royalty down the drain. I am now looking at alternative options.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Call me Kevin 0407744914
Photo of Chetan

Chetan

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Kevin for solving the issue
Photo of Kevin Russell

Piece of cake.
Photo of Ned coleman

Ned coleman

• 60 Points
I received the same email and I bought the 2019 version of Premier ($710pa). I did tell the consultant that I thought I should be able to continue using 2013 version since it was purchased outright. He showed no interest