Adjustment note for stolen money from office.

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi Everyone,

Last year, some cash was stolen from our office by the person doing receivables. The money was the payment received from our customers. The issue is, she did not give an invoice for some of them or she ripped of hand written receipt book sheets. Customers' invoices still remain unpaid. I need to create an item for this specific purpose to use for adjustment notes. I could not quite figure out how to create it without increasing the bank in chart of accounts.
Photo of Samed Koc

Samed Koc

  • 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

  • 15,952 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Samed... create a bank account called Theft Suspense... then you can do Receive Payments to this account to pay off all the affected customer invoices in the system...  then you can clear the balance that is in this account - using a cheque entry to an expense account called Loss on Theft or something like that... does that make sense?  cheers Linda
Photo of Shirley Ingle

Shirley Ingle, Accredited Partner

  • 2,892 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Hi Samed  What Linda has given you is the simple way to clear these outstanding amounts.

An alternative to creating a Write cheque is when receiving the payments, mark Deposit to as going to Undeposited Funds. Then go to Make Deposits, check all the amounts, when in the Deposit screen, go to the bottom and in Cash goes back to, put the expense account eg Theft and the deposit will be $0.00