Allowances

Kelly Leaning-Dalley_9070931
Kelly Leaning-Dalley_9070931 Member Posts: 28
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Does anyone know how I can allocate an allowance paid to an employee to a certain job?  At the moment even with "track expenses by job" box ticked it won't let me choose which job the allowance is assigned to, Reckon splits the allowance between each job on that pay cheque.

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Kelly.  Go to Edit> Preferences> Payroll & Employees> Company Preferences>  then about half way down you will find a box Job Costing and Class Tracking for paycheque expenses - Assign one class per - You might have "Entire Pay Cheque" selected.  Instead, select "Earnings Item".  Once you do that, you have the ability to assign classes to individual salaries/allowances classes during the ?Pay Run.  This option should then allow SGC to be split automatically into classes as well.  John L G.
  • Kelly Leaning-Dalley_9070931
    Kelly Leaning-Dalley_9070931 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2020
    Hi John,

I already have "Earnings Item" selected.  The issue I have is a want to assign a "other payroll item" to a specific job - not class.  Presently I have nowhere to be able to allocate it to a job number etc.  You can only do that in the Earnings part of the paycheque that I can see.
  • John Graetz
    edited September 2017

Hi Kelly.  I am familiar with classes but not jobs.  You are probably correct in what you say.  The only other option that I can think of, which could become unwieldy if you have too many jobs, would be to create payroll item names which include the job name or number as part of their name.

John L G

• Leshelle
    Leshelle Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2017
    Hi John. In my experience allowances will not pick up a class, even if one is set as default for the employee. They all end up in unclassified column of P&L and I have to journal the class in. The Super goes to the default class. Not helpful when some employees have all earning items split between classes every pay.
  • John Graetz
    edited October 2017

HI Leshelle.  I decided to do some checking on something from the past.  In the process, I have decided that what I said earlier, just does not happen in practice.  The Reckon help menu states the following:

"If the earnings items are assigned to more than one class, Reckon Accounts prorates the class assignments of the additions and company contributions based on the prorations of the earnings items".

Back checking that I carried out, proves that this statement is not correct.  Even if one has earnings items only, with separate classes, the accounting system does not prorate the SGC to separate classes.  On that basis I have to totally agree with you about the absolute nuisance that this failure to operate as specified, causes. I have checked the set-up and it has been done in accordance with the way that the Reckon help menu says to do it.

I know that this was a problem that has been raised in the past and further searching on this forum reveals that the "facility" became broken when the 2016 version of Reckon was released, which by now would be some 18 months ago.  When this issue was raised more than 12 months ago, the response from Rav was:

"I've checked in around this issue and it is one that our Dev team are investigating. Unfortunately, I don't have a timeframe that I can advise at this point either however I will keep you posted with more information on this as soon as I can."

Unfortunately, this becomes another part of Reckon Accounts that is broken - perhaps beyond repair - or else it is on the 10 year "to-do" list, with no intention to do anything immediately to fix the problem, in light of the fact that the 2017 version has been released without the problem being fixed.  As to whether this will be fixed in the 2018 version remains to be seen.  Suffice to say, Journals are the only way to overcome the problem in the interim.

John L G