An error occurred submitting single touch payroll details to the API.

Naomi Kohler
Naomi Kohler Member Posts: 15
edited July 2020 in Reckon One
I have set up the Gov Connect and went to submit my first file in STP  (R1) to Gov Connect and this error message came up:  
  • An error occurred submitting single touch payroll details to the API.
How do you trouble with such little information or direction on how to correct!  Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I have rang the help number and went through the selection for R1 support but feel this is nothing but a tunes station with no message recording of my progress in the queue for the last 30 minute.  What is the help phone number for R1

Thank you

Comments

• Mandy_9125583
    Mandy_9125583 Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2019
    I am getting the same error. Is there any fix to this?
  • Naomi Kohler
    Naomi Kohler Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2019
    Yes was finally able to work out that is was the legal name not correct.  Copy from Gov Connect directly to R1 settings so it is exactly the same.

• Corry Breugem
    Corry Breugem Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    I have the same problem and even after copying the name from Gov Connect to the R1 to make sure it is spelled exactly the same....still get the error message. Any help is very much appreciated. 
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2019
    Hi Corry,
    There are a few areas that you'll need to review to ensure everything is valid.

Book settings
    - Ensure the legal name is entered correctly and is matching what is in GovConnect
    - ABN is entered
    - Branch number is entered if applicable. Otherwise, leave it BLANK.
    - Enter legal address
    - Ensure the State is selected from the drop-down menu (e.g. do not type Vic instead of selecting Victoria)

Employees
    *General tab*
    - Postal address is entered
    - Ensure the State is selected from the drop-down menu (e.g. do not type Vic instead of selecting Victoria)

*Employment tab*
    - An employee number must be entered, and it must be a unique number.
    - No long service date entered
    - No termination date entered

*Tax tab*
    - Enter a valid TFN

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kylie_10112983
    Kylie_10112983 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2019
    I have done all these and still I get the error.  Any further suggestions?
  • Tanya_10117901
    Tanya_10117901 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019
    Corry I have double checked all the information that you have suggested above.  I have been trying to contact Reckon One for a week now, I can not get through on the phone, and support doesn't reply to my email requests.  Your forum here hasn't solved my error issue nor have any of the training manuals or YouTube videos. I am now ready to process the next pay run.  Forced into purchasing payroll software due to STP, Reckon One came highly recommended by fellow colleagues.  However, if Reckon One is jammed packed 24/7 answering Technical support queries that they have to automatically hang up on my calls, should we be paying for a faulty product or does Reckon One need to consider hiring more staff?   Any chance other community members could advise as to why this error occurs so that I may have a better understanding and perhaps offer a step by step on how they fixed the issue themselves?
  • Ellen_10133894
    Ellen_10133894 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019
    I too have followed all the steps above but to no avail... has anyone found a solution yet?  Welcome any other suggestions!!
  • bao dang
    bao dang Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2019
    I am having the same issue, would be helpful if the error messages were a little more helpful like "Company name not matching" or "Legal address not matching" instead of a generic API issue. What type of error handling is this.
  • Mike_9755105
    Mike_9755105 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2019
    I'm stuck with this error message as well and the above instructions didn't help. Frankly I think that some sort of STP data validation function should be available in R1 to identify any data issues in such a way so that users like us can correct as needed instead of having to contact support... 

Mind you, STP has been around for a year and in the forum you can find a number of posts similar to this one, some of them dating several months back (... if not a year).
    You'd think that the STP functionality could have been improved in the meantime to identify at least common mistakes and alert users with a clear error message... 

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2019
    Hi folks,
    If you've tried the above, the only thing that I can think of which has any bearing on this error is the length of the company name. Does your company name exceed 38 characters?
    If so, drop off some characters to bring it below 38, from what I understand STP can only take a maximum of 38.

Try that out and see how you get on.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Ellen_10133894
    edited July 2019
    Hi Rav I have tried that too. I've also tried removing special characters so the name is letters only but to no avail. Is there some other quirk we need to be aware of?
  • Wallina
    Wallina Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2019
    Hi! I am also having the same issue! I have done all of the above and still having trouble....so frustrating. Any further suggestions Rav???

• Tracey Good
    Tracey Good Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2019
    Same here, have checked all the above but I still get the error. But I did see in govConnec my address is blank
  • bao dang
    bao dang Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2019
    I checked my employee's State and picked the values, this fixed it. So I think its best to double triple check all the fields. A more specific error message would be more useful from the program, that's just lazy error handling.
  • jessie_10138813
    jessie_10138813 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2019
    I had this frustrating trouble, problem for me was the employee addresses, choose the state from the drop down menu. So frustrating how long it took!!!
  • jessie_10138813
    edited July 2019
    Check the employees address state has been selected from drop down menus not hand written.
  • Mandy_9125583
    Mandy_9125583 Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2019
    After trying lots of fixes..I called the help desk 3 days in a row and they repaired it from their end. I dont know how and they didnt explain it
  • Ellen_10133894
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Mandy - I may have to do the same... 
    I've checked and rechecked employee addresses three times and that is not the issue!
  • Wallina
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Mandy, I am phoning today after countless times of checking and still not getting any futher…

• Tracey Good
    Tracey Good Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2019
    I thought my addresses were correct but when I checked the postcodes were missing somehow. I fixed that and stp now works
  • Tanya_10117901
    edited July 2020
    Thanks guys for your feed back - I have been away on AL so hopefully I can resolve it today pending help from IT.

No my company name does not exceed the character limit.  I have double checked with the ATO the correct legal name and spelling also.  I have reentered all employees addresses and ensured that only drop down menus were used.

Making phone call, lets see if my call is received?
  • Tanya_10117901
    edited July 2019
    50 minutes later the IT guy I was speaking to hung up on me when trying to receive my call off hold and doesn't even have the courtesy to ring me back or follow through with his commitment to fixing the problem or his customer care and satisfaction - am I not his problem anymore?

I'll ring again, sit on hold for another 40 mins and try again.
  • Peter_9962328
    Peter_9962328 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2019
    Same problem.

'an error occurred submitting single touch payroll details to the API'

And no further indication of where to search for the mistake/problem.
    It is likely to be found in differing information between Reckon and the ATO (what is API by the way?)
    But where?

Frustrated.
    May not be just Reckon's problem.
    The ATO may not provide the details of the conflicting information.

• jessie_10138813
    edited July 2019
    Found this on another post.image
  • jessie_10138813
    edited July 2019
  • Wallina
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Jessie, will give this a try! 

• LINH
    LINH Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2019
    HI, 
    I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE , PLEASE HELP ABN 69 600 886 431

Thanks

• Peter_9962328
    edited July 2019
    My reckon one company file was set up with a different email address. (different from the ATO's)
    Maybe this is an issue?
    If so how can I change that?
    Note that I already have changed the email address in my book settings to be the same as the ATO's.

• Peter_9962328
    edited July 2019
    Another question.
    Is payment of the payroll required to be entered as paid in reckon one prior to sending the payrun information to govconnect STP?

• Peter_9962328
    edited July 2019
    And/or in the employee area, in the rectangle for employee username, the selection in my case is limited to one choice and that is our business email address (with behind it in between brackets a long number)
    What is Reckon One asking when it wants to know the employee username, if not the name we use for this employee? (like Michael or David etc)

Clutching at straws here. Really do not know where to look for 'the error'
    Did all other checks as suggested above.
    Very frustrating.

• Peter_9962328
    edited July 2019
    So, HOOORRAY.

I had paid the employees on the payrun, in 'real life', but had not informed my Reckon One book about this.
    As soon as I put in the information that all payments in the payrun were paid, the payrun information was accepted by GovConnect.

Why is this not made clear anywhere?
  • Tanya_10117901
    edited July 2019
    Finally fixed the problem! Even after conferring with the ATO to ensure I had the correct spelling of Legal Business Name etc, the issue was that the ATO has our entire Business Name in capital letters and I did not. A little note or tip on just how exact the Business Name must be ie: capitals, spacing, characters would have saved me, some of these guys and your IT department a whole lot of anguish and frustration these past few weeks!
  • Ellen_10133894
    edited August 2019
    I too finally fixed my problem!  There is another thing not mentioned in Rav's list above which you need to look out for.. for me it was that I had '+61' in my phone number in the payroll settings and special characters are not allowed.  
    To fix go to Payroll Settings (COG wheel > Settings > Payroll settings > General) and ensure no special characters in the phone number.

Sounds like there are a lot of potential errors however this was the one holding me up - I hope this info helps at least one other person resolve their issue!
  • Vele Bunda
    Vele Bunda Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    I have the same issue, after trying everything explained above I'm still unable to submit to the STP