analysis codes

Options
Carol McAuliffe
Carol McAuliffe Member Posts: 1
edited January 2020 in Accounts Hosted
We are using Reckon 14.  We are wanting to include analysis codes to our entries  for report.  We have approx 50-60 programs with individual budgets all using the same account codes or items.  In some instances the entry such a grant needs to be tracked for acquittal purposes .  Rather than creating additional income or expense accounts/items an analysis code would assist for more defined reporting.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I have tried the defined field area but cannot change the supplier bill screen to include this field.

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You need to use classes, I do Grant reporting for many NFPs. 60 is a lot. Call me if you need to on 0266834083
  • Kevin Silberberg
    Kevin Silberberg Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Carol, it seems that you need to track income and expenditure by grant.  I would create an Other Current Liability Account for each grant.  When funds are received for a particular grant, I would Debit the bank account which receives the funds and Credit the appropriate Liability Account.  When bills are received relating to a particular grant (project), I would enter the Bill against the relevant Supplier and post the expense to the particular grant (project) to which the expense relates.  A report of any of the Liability Accounts will provide a listing of income received and bills paid for each grant.  Such reports will assist greatly in the acquittal of grants.
  • Denis Bourke
    Denis Bourke Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree. I use classes to separate the different programmes and/or events, such as education programme, or boot-camp. Where I need to provide accountability to a grantor/donor, I set up a Job against the Customer record. individual transactions of a similar type can then be sliced and diced into activities and donors,
  • Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options

Kevin while using multiple liability accounts ( in this case 60) is one way of following grants I find that Classes are specifically designed for the purpose and just lumping everything into a liability account just negates the purpose of all the reporting capability of Reckon. You then have a P&L (Income & Expenditure)based on the common chart of accounts and if need be you can bring up a detailed P&L for individual transactions.

An additional class (which I call JOURNAL Class) will allow you to post Capital items to the P&L which is essential for Grant reporting and at the same time have them in your balance sheet. That way you can pick up a P&L by Class/Grant showing all expenses and then at EOFY you overall P&L will show all capital items in the Balance sheet.

• Kevin Silberberg
    Kevin Silberberg Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Charles, you write of "lumping everything into a liability account".  My approach is to track income and expenditure by multiple liability accounts, one for each grant.  I am of the opinion that a grant should be treated as creating a liability.  My approach is to keep grants off the Profit and Loss - to deal with them on the Balance Sheet only.  It all depends as to whether you want to distinguish between sales (income) and grants (different from sales).  I am influenced by having been responsible for the Research Grants Program of the Australian Research Council as managed by the Federal Department of Education for about five years in the nineteen nineties.
  • Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Carol,

Classes are perfect for grants. You can create a class for each grant, and then each invoice/bill/cheque/etc. can be allocated to a particular class/grant.

Then you can utilise your reports to filter by class to get the accuracy you need.

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (Sally@samsolutions.com.au)

• cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, i agree with Kevin, otherwise this will distort management accounts.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009