Any Reckon Point of Sales users made the jump to Windows 10

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
As per the title, any Reckon Point of Sales users updated their POS machines to Windows 10 yet?

I haven't bothered yet, but assumed POS should work a lot better compared to the train wreak that is unfolding for Reckon Accounts on Windows 10.

POS is a lot simpler, but still could have some issues.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
  • intrigued

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chris McGregor

Chris McGregor, Alum

• 2,800 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I haven't tried this or even looked at win10 yet but my assumption is that if it's going to fail anywhere it will be DotNet.

Usually when Microsoft releases a new operating system they release a new DotNet framework along with it.

POS Admin requires DotNet 4.0 in order for the install to work and this has previously conflicted with 4.5.1 which would cause the install to hang.

The old workaround was to uninstall 4.5.1 to be able to install 4.0. Then reinstall 4.5.1 again after pos.

Not much help I know but something that may come up.

Regards,

Chris
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well finally got around to updating my 'test' machines. Windows 7 -> Windows 10 running POS 2015 :/

While no major fails in the update to windows 10, a couple of things to watch out for. The main one is that POS clients think the machine HW has changed and you have to licence them again, straight away as the '10 day grace period' has expired. This is a bit of a pain, as I normally do updates out of hours, which means the POS clients are down till we can call Reckon.

The other things to watch out for, is all the standard windows 10 crap, things like one drive and all that need to be disabled/removed and a heap of other stuff slimmed up for the POS clients.

But it looks like Reckon Point of Sale 2015 at least doesn't seem broken out of the box like some of the other products..... ;)

Now on to test the POS administrator as thats still sitting on a Windows 7 machine.
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

• 3,726 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This is command you need to slim your POS client down

PowerShell as Admin: Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing your experience Andrew.

regards,
John.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Update 2 on testing

So did some test sales on the POS client, seems ok. EOD works ok on both. I don't have any cash draws/scanners/customer display on these test machines for testing only. But no show stoppers jumping out at me YET.

EOD posting and a full transfer from a win7 client running the POS admi into RA worked fine.

Onto upgrading the POS Admin test machine that also has RA on it. I know this will be a road kill mess already! Fingers crossed!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Update 3 on testing

Upgraded the Win 7 POS administrator/RA tester machine, seems to post/transfer correctly. So that is always nice!

Standard set of borked broken bits apply to Reckon Accounts as per the other threads. So won't be rushing to do that production version of the machine until 2016 products are released I guess. 

In conclusion, Reckon Point of Sales 2015 seems to be stable at first glace in some basic testing on Windows 10. YMMV.
Photo of Ven

Ven

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Running Windows 10 Pro - install issues for POS 2015 Trail, and now Terminal won't talk to the Trial database.  Might need to try a VM of Windows 8.1
Photo of Chris McGregor

Chris McGregor, Alum

During the install did you choose "this user only" or "all users"? I only ask as pos has different settings depending on what you choose.

If you choose "all users" it uses an Ini file to hold the settings, like database path, if you choose "this user only" it uses the registry.
Try uninstalling and attempt the other method and let us know how you go :)

Regards,
Chris
(Edited)
Photo of Ven

Ven

The Trial version didn't give me the option of 'all users' or not - I have uninstalled, reinstalled, DLL registration errors
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

When you say won't talk, can you post a screenshot of the error?
Photo of Chris McGregor

Chris McGregor, Alum

Also depending on the exact dll message there are a number of article that can help in reckons KB

http://kb.reckon.com.au/search.asp?ca...

Regards,

Chris
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Seems Ven has two issues here, one is that is can't connect to the DB the other is DLL errors. Might spin up a fresh Win 10 tester and install the trial.
Photo of Ven

Ven

Was a clean Win10 install, then installed Office, then Reckon.
Photo of Chris McGregor

Chris McGregor, Alum

Just because it's a clean install doesn't mean it's a good install, windows is rebound for "bad loads", sometimes it's as simple as a reboot, someone's it's just that windows hasn't totally installed it's self correctly.

For quickest results follows the KB's, but if Andrews right then it's not only POS that you will be having issues with in the long run.

Regards,

Chris
Photo of Ven

Ven

Basically - Reckon have said to me that there are known issues with Windows 10, and that POS isn't certified for Windows 10.  As an IT Professional, that is often asked by clients to research software, it does make it hard to determine if the software is a right fit for a client when I need to jump through hoops to try and find solutions to get an application to work.  While it might be good for me in the short term, as it means I can charge for my time to get the application to work, in the long run, I can't recommend software that won't work in a particular OS if there are known issues.  It makes me look bad for recommending the software, and it makes the company selling the software look bad when they say 'Yep - known issue, goto our forums to see if users have found a solution'.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Ven, Still waiting for some screen shots on the error. As posted above, my 'upgrade' testers worked ok, but I'm yet to try a fresh install on a fresh Windows 10.

Reckon haven't certified any products for Windows 10 yet and to be truthful 'certified' by Reckon QA team doesn't mean much, Reckon Accounts was certified for Windows 8 and it has most of the issues that RA account has today on Windows 10 under Windows 8.

Reckon team also gave Reckon Accounts a pre approval tick a few weeks before Windows 10 was released as well, that didn't turn out too well either.

Sadly Reckon thinks its acceptable just to post work arounds and use 'run as administrator' or 'compatibility mode' or both to make it work.

If you want to see if the software works for you and your client, then spin up a copy of Windows 7 and install the trial. It will give you an idea of what is what and how the software works.

Its true you can't recommend software that won't work with a particular OS if there are known issues, but Windows 10 is very new, so needs a little bit of slack. A bit of software needs 'updates' to fully work. So we all hold high hopes for the 2016 releases of the software.

Sadly lots of us are 'locked' into the platform and its a big change to move.
Photo of Ven

Ven

Hi Andrew,

I'm having issues trying to get screen shots - POS shuts down completely before I get a chance.
Anyway - setup a VM Windows 8.1 machine, and it installs and runs perfectly.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Everyone,

Our testers have come back and confirmed that the 2014 and 2015 version of POS Pro and Lite install and function as intended on Windows 10.   POS Enterprise needs a workaround - see my comment later.

We have not tested the Senor POS Hardware that we sell part of our Kit on Windows 10.

Generally, you should log onto the PC as a Local Admin User.  Domain Admin Users should make themselves a member of the Local Admin User Group on the PC.

POS Enterprise does install on Windows 10, however it cannot communicate with the SQL Server (Express) installed from the POS disk, or any SQL Server independently installed.  You will need to set aside a non-Windows10 PC in your network to install the SQL Server for POS Enterprise to communicate with.  

POS 2016 all versions will be fully compatible with Windows 10.

regards,
John
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Thanks John, pretty much confirms my findings from a week ago.
(Edited)
Photo of Ven

Ven

Hi John,

Interesting that your testers have come back and say the POS Pro & Lite install and function as intended.  For me, the trial version didn't.  Getting Error 1904 on install (even an email confirming it is a known issue), and OCX issues that needed me to do regedits as an admin.  For a non computer literate person, if they went and purchased and tried installing (on a Windows 10 Machine), having all these issues would make them bag Reckon/Quicken and want their money back.

I understand Windows 10 is the new OS on the scene, but the OS would have been around a while for testing to ensure 'glitches' are worked out.

OK - Now off my high horse.  Looking at the specs of the software, it does say it works with Windows 8 and no mention of Windows 10.  So user/buyer beware.  From an analyst/programmer background, I do know it takes time to get software working as needed on new environments.  When is the new version of POS and Accounts coming out, and will it be fully tested on Windows 10 before release?

Ven
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Ven, there are some slight differences in the installer between the trial and full release versions, I'm guessing there is some wonky bug in the trial installer. I'll spin up a Win 10 tester shortly and see if I can reproduce your issue.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well finally got around to it installing POS2015 trial,

Yep the installer throws up a error, this one

but the installer finishes ok, and the POS client and Administrator run ok.

Hopefully Reckon will add this to ever growing list of 'features' to look at in 2016!
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

So while a upgrade works, I Can now confirm the SQLDMO.DLL error happens on a fresh licensed install of Reckon Point of Sale 2015 also. Seriously John, your QA/Test team need to be fired. This is just utter crap. First they tell us Reckon Accounts will work without issues on Windows 10, that turned out to be wrong. Now you're telling us that POS works and this looks to be incorrect as well.

This serious lack of testing and finding of obvious errors by Reckon QA/Test teams is just beyound unacceptable.

But of course this comment will go unanswered, as all my asking the 'hard question' comments go unanswered.
(Edited)
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ven & Andrew, many thanks for the feedback.

Only POS 2016 will be fully compatible with Windows 10.  

The tests that were carried out on the 2014 and 2015 editions were done on a "clean machine" that contained Windows 10 OS and no other programmes.  Some programmes may conflict with the installation process or limit access to required areas.

The Error 1904 has cropped up on a number of products at various times and is related to a wide range of issues, including:
DLLs blocked by antivirus
damaged component of Microsoft Visual C++.
incorrect file setting 
damaged file
illegal character in filename or folder
conflicts with other installed programmes (install in 'Safe Mode')

The SQLDMO.dll is a file that is installed with POS Admin and POS Terminal to allow them to communicate to the SQL server in POS Enterprise.  As Pro and Lite do not need to communicate with an SQL Server, the installation will proceed and POS will operate as normal.  
This will not be an issue in POS 2016.

If you are running POS Enterprise, you will need to manually register this file by:
  1. Type ‘command’ in the ‘Search the web and Windows’ textbox
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt (Desktop app) shortcut and select ‘Run as Administrator’
  3. Type regsvr32 ‘{path to sqldmo file}\sqldmo.dll’ and press Enter.
(Remember, the SQL Server for POS Enterprise 2014, 2015 needs to be installed on a non-Windows10 PC)
This will not be an issue in POS 2016.

The OCX issue results from a couple of files (CsdEft.ocx, PosdEft.ocx) not being deregistered when previous editions of POS were uninstalled.  

There are various articles on these issues in the KnowledgeBase.

regards,
John
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi John... Thanks for a follow up!

Yes my testing was done on clean Windows 10 machines as well. Fresh install of the OS etc.

I was very surprised at the SQLDMO.dll error after your findings saying all was well, giving Lite/Pro POS a clean bill of health. To remind you of what you said

"Our testers have come back and confirmed that the 2014 and 2015 version of POS Pro and Lite install and function as intended on Windows 10. POS Enterprise needs a workaround - see my comment later."

This is now different to what really happens in real life when you install a Lite/Pro version on a clean Windows 10 machine. It throws up a error regarding SQLDMO.dll, but I'm not installing the Enterprise version, so why am I seeing this issue? To add to confusion if I remember rightly from memory the POS Enterprise is a totally separate installer to the Lite/Pro installer.

So you can see why I'm confused and perplexed at what you are saying and what is happening in real life!?

We all just ask for Reckon to give CLEAR and VALID statements, if it throws a error that can be ignored, then that isn't "install and function as intended". I intended to not see ANY errors and really need to know if I do see an error that I can ignore it!

Thanks again

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.