Asking for password

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
App keeps asking for log in credentials and despite asking it to use face recognition for logging in, it never does and asks me for e-mail and password authentication. Once in, it works fine, but I have to continually log in. Just annoying that it doesn’t retain the log in.
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,542 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Charlie,
Are you logging out of the app by using the logout option each time you've finished using the app?
If so, then you'll need to login using your credentials ie. email address & password to get back in.
If you've just closed the app and reopen it later should ask you to re-authenticate using your chosen method eg. Touch ID or Face ID. Is this not happening?
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav
No, just closing the app without logging out. Then when I restart the app later, it asks me for e-mail/password authentication again even though “Use Face ID” is enabled.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,522 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hmmm that's interesting. Could you do me a favour and disable Face ID in the app, logout of it, close the app in your app task manager ie. swipe it away to close it in full. Give it a couple of minutes and then log back in with your email & password credentials and re-enable Face ID.
Try it out for a bit like you normally would and let me know if its still not working?
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Ok - have done so now and will wait . Will advise a bit later. Thanks Rav.
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav - did what you asked. Tried to fire up the app this morning and it asked me for e-mail/password login again. Definitely had Face ID on when I logged in yesterday but today it isn’t using it - just annoying if I can’t use the tech that exists with the app. Please advise.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hmm ok, that's odd.
And just to triple check, you didn't logout at any stage using the specific 'Logout' option in the Settings area of the app right?

I might need to get the app team's insight on why this is happening for you. 

Are you using the latest version of the app? (just check if there are any updates in the App Store we released one a couple of days ago, v1.0.9) and also, which model of iPhone are you using? Finally what version of iOS are you running?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Sorry one more thing.. could you uninstall/reinstall the app and see if the same thing happens for you?
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav - no logging out. V1.09 and iPhone X with iOS 12.3.1. If I uninstall then reinstall does it retain all my data that I gave inputted?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Yes it will retain your data, just make sure that you logout in the app prior to uninstalling.
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Oops have
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hey Rav - I just opened the app and it didn’t ask for the authentication. Does the app have a security timeout? Also, it lets me into the app straight away, without showing Face ID - what’s with that? It is active in settings
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Charlie,
I've just found that the Face ID/Touch ID re-authentication will occur once every 12 hours. Separate to this is MFA authentication which will occur once every 30 days. If you have base level Touch ID, Face ID or a PIN set to your device itself, that is another layer of security.

Would be keen on your feedback on this to see if there are any improvements/changes you'd like to see.
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav - this is happening through the day and overnight. There is no Face ID happening like with all my other programs. Otherwise it just falters and just asks me for my e-mail/password authentication. I will log out, delete the app and then reinstall it - we’ll see what happens. Will let you know.
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav - I did what you asked. Now I have reinstalled a fresh copy from iTunes but it has given me 1.08, whereas the one I had was 1.10.1 - that’s strange
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Sorry Rav, got the version wrong - v1.0.10 is the version I have now as it must have ‘self’ updated. When I fired up the app this morning, it had logged me out and asked for sign in. When I hit sign in, it finally asked me whether I wanted to use Face ID, I said yes, and it read my face and logged me in. Hopefully that’s put that issue to bed. I will monitor and let you know. Cheers Charlie
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Thanks Charlie 
Photo of Charlie K

Charlie K

Hi Rav - log in seems to be ok. A quick question though about the reinstallation of the app. Did it change my software ID that I had notified to the ATO with the previous installation? In other words, do I have to notify them again after a reinstallation? Thanks Charlie