Backups - no disk space??? Home and Business 2016

Ken Maher_6501536
Ken Maher_6501536 Member Posts: 3
When trying to backup I get a message telling me that the backup disk is out of space and to insert a new disk. The problem is that there is plenty of space on the disk or any other device eg USB stick, that I care to use. What causes this problem and how can it be fixed?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2019
    Hi Ken,

Are you backing up directly to a local destination to your PC or to a USB/removable drive?

From what I understand this message may appear when backing up to a removable drive such as USB stick etc if it has become corrupted.

Let me know

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Andrew Christie
    Andrew Christie Member Posts: 149
    edited January 2017
    Hi Rav,
    Would it also be that the backup creates a temp file on the backup source while creating the backup this doubling required space on backup media temporarily?
    Andy
  • Ken Barclay_8818409
    Ken Barclay_8818409 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017
    It happens when I try to back up on a USB stick and on another static hard drive.

It's been going on for too long now.

I recently went away for a week and had to re-enter all of my spending when I got home. I am very seriously thinking of changing to MYOB as is a few people that I know who are having this problem without any sign of it being fixed up. Maybe you are trying to get us all on Reckon Accounts Hosted, not this little black duck.

• Ken Barclay_8818409
    edited January 2017
    My main backup drive has 1.25TB free of 1.3TB, so that is not the problem. My USB has 23.8GB free of 58.9GB. So they are not the problem. I have tried to back up on many other drives and I get the same message “A backup error occurred. Please check your files were backed up to the selected location”. The same as it has been for months now.

I realise that it automatically backs up on my computer and I can cut & paste from there, however this does not seen to work from my laptop to a USB.

• Ken Barclay_8818409
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. 
  • Kylie Abels
    Kylie Abels Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Having this same issue from 2017. Now that I have to change laptops (and transfer data) it is a problem.

"Cannot complete your request because there is not enough disk space to back up the attachment(s)". I'm backing up on a 1TB external drive. File goes over fine - but not attachments. 

I need this fixed. Urgently.
  • st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2018
    Was this fixed as I'm having the same problem?   I have plenty of space on my backup drives.   
  • Ken Barclay_8900462
    Ken Barclay_8900462 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Don't know what I did our whatever happened but it is working fine now. Bloody gremlins. 
  • st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Ken, I've now posted my own question.   I'll see what comes of it.