BAS report in Reckon Home and Business 2016 do not populate properly

Ethan_8333682
Ethan_8333682 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi
I just purchased and installed Reckon 2016 and have been learning to populate the slit fields on each transaction line with the different ATO tax codes. I needed to enter the code manuall However, on creating the BAS form, it seems that the fields do not match the tax codes labels. If anything, the Fields on the report would pick up the field position in the tax code list regardless of the label used. (I had to play around the the different field codes within the field position on the tax list to "make it work" Even more confusing, the G1 field does not pick up both GST and GST free sales,

My question is, is there a way to configure the BAS form to pick up the appropriate fields by name in the Tax list and not by order of entry? Where is the BAS form configuration kept so that I can check and modify the form for my use.  Thank you

Thank you.

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ethan,  When you start off with a new installation like you have done, you have to configure the BAS to pick up the various GST codes applicable to the particular label.  For example when configuring the G1 label, you need to click on G! and then tell Reckon what codes you want included.  In this case you will probably be nominating GST, FRE and INP as a minimum.  You need then to click on each of the other labels G2, G3, G10 and G11 and do the same thing.  On the next page you need to click on each of the labels W1, W2, W3, W4 and T1 and again select which of your tax codes are applicable to that specific label.
    And then similarly for the next page.  When you finish doing all of this, the labels will populate with the figures derived from the tax codes that you have used in the transactions that you have previously entered.  Make sure also that your BAS is being run in the same Cash Accounting or Accrual Accounting which is consistent with the BAS report that you are registered for, with the ATO.
    Reckon will not automatically configure your own BAS for you the first time around because you might be using owner-specific tax codes.  Once set up the first time, it will usually remember what you have done, but, if you create another owner-specific tax code, you will need to add that to the label when you run your next BAS.
    Hope this helps.
    John L G
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 474 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Hi Ethan

Home & Business has a hard-wired BAS configuration so you do not need to configure the BAS as explained by John above (which is for Reckon Accounts Business - not Home & Business).

Sales must use GST or FRE (some users may also need INP and EXP depending on your business transactions).  Expenses must use NCG or NCF / CAG or CAF (some users may also need the other expense codes too - it depends on your business transactions).  Review the Tax Code list you have a picture of to choose the correct codes.

I suggest you do a Tax Detail Reports (Reports > Business > Tax Detail) to review what you have coded transactions.  Also do a No Tax Code Assigned Report to see which transactions you have missed entering a tax code on.

If you need a more detailed response you will need to contact me robyn@robynkelly.com.au

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Ethan_8333682
    edited July 2016
    Thank you Robyn.  That is what I thought was the case with the Home and business version of Reckon with regards to the BAS statement fields, as I finally discovered that there was no way of coding the BAS fields (After much searching).  However, my issue is that the Codes do not populate (or calculate) the BAS fields correctly when I run the report despite using the correct codes.

As I converted my data from an older version of Quicken, the tax list was not initially populated and I had to create the tax list manually (Business -> Business list -> Tax code list.. and I did so initially in the same order as I saw it in the help document ie EXP, FRE, GST... etc ). I then used the tax codes as per your explanation above.  However, when I ran the BAS report, the values in each field does not completely match the codes I have created, nor are the calculations correct esp in G1.

I would then experiment and move the codes around and noticed that when I changed the order of tax codes in the list area, the BAS fields would be populated based on the position of the codes that I use regardless of the three letter codes that was used (ie Position 1 would always populate G2 field, position 2 would populate the G3 field and Position 4 would populate the G3 field,  The GST code however is never added to the G1 field regardless of the position on the tax list where I placed the code.

Interestingly, when I created a brand new file, the tax list fields were repopulated and ran correctly.

So my questions are,
    1/ Is there a way to force Reckon to correctly code the BAS fields with the tax codes that I have created in my current file?
    2/ How does Reckon pull the tax list codes.. ie is it by position or the codes themselves? 
    3/ How do I transfer the codes from the new file to my current file if I am not able to solve the problem, if at all possible?

Thank you for again for helping me with this issue.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 474 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Ethan I suggest not changing existing tax codes in anyway or creating new ones as the BAS works on the codes that have already been set up.  You should not have had to set up the codes yourself if using the correct version of the program and if your data had been converted / upgraded correctly.

How long ago was the data converted? How was the data upgraded? How much data entry have you done since upgrading?

You would be able to export all of the transactions out of your wrong file and import them into the new file, but I suggest you do this with caution as the transactions come across exclusive of GST and without tax codes but this is maybe what you need as your codes are wrong.

Robyn

• Ethan_8333682
    edited June 2017
    Hello again. I has been a year now since I purchased Reckon and unfortunately, I have not been able to resolve my BAS issue. I have had to, in the mean time, create an Excel spread sheet to calculate my BAS manually.

I did try to export all my transactions as suggested but Reckon does not allow me do create a file that is compatible for me to import them back.

What has infuriated me recently is that Reckon has sent me an invoice to renew my Advantage membership. As I have not been able to get support to help me resolve my issue, I was wondering if it is worth paying nearly $300.00 for a program that has failed to work!
  • Gp Ordoc
    Gp Ordoc Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018

The numbers do not now = SIMPLE BAS there is no 2B

It needs an update to work with the Simple BAS like they have done on QuickBooks

• Julie F
    Julie F Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    All my TAX CODES and LINKED accounts have vanished from my simplified BAS. Is there a way to get them back? Why did this happen????

• John Graetz
    edited January 2020
    Julie.  To try and get them back, you would likely have to do something like this if you are using the Desktop version of Reckon:
    1.  Copy your existing file to a new location for safe keeping.
    2.  Restore a backup copy from which you know the tax codes were in place
    3.  After restoring that old backup, copy down the details of what tax codes you had setup for each of the various labels.
    4.  Bring back the current saved file and re-enter the information that you have recorded in step 3.
    Failing this, you will have no other option than to set all the labels up from scratch.  You can follow what I have said earlier in this post.  It is not necessarily a difficult job.  I and others have had occasions on which this same thing has occurred and we have been able to successfully re-establish the codes for each label.
    The ultimate test for the accuracy of your new set up will be by comparing what your BAS tells you against your Tax Liability Report and the Group Tax shown on your Payroll Summary Report.
    John L G
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited January 2020
    Julie, are you definitley using Home & Business?  It sounds to me like you are using Reckon Accounts Desktop or Hosted?

If so try this reply or search for other replies on the BAS not showing figures:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/bas-report
  • Julie F
    edited January 2020
    Hi Robyn, I'm using Hosted. I might have been in the wrong part looking on the community board. For some reason it seems to be working now, I was tired and it was late. I have now managed to get everything apprearing, maybe it was a date issue that I entred. Thanks for your response.
  • Julie F
    edited July 2020
    Thanks John, Appreciate your reply.
    I think it was a timely reminder to also keep everything backed up too. I seem to be off and running again, which is more than can be said for logging into the ATO Business Portal :(

• John Graetz
    edited January 2020
    You are absolutely correct about the backups, Julie.  Daily is the way that I go with Hosted.  Glad that things seem to be resolved - well with Reckon at least!
    John L G