BAS reporting instalment lodgement form

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
Hi When using the simplified BAS/IAS in our Reckon Accounts Premier Edition, the W2 'amounts withdrawn from payments' is being populated incorrectly.   The W2 code captures 2300/2310 Payroll Liabilities.   This is also the code used when transferring the payment however to the ATO.    If the payment is transferred in the same quarter and using the codes above, the amount at W2 deducts the amount paid to the ATO for the previous quarter, thus not giving the correct figure payable for the current quarter.   Can you please advise if there is a way around this.
Photo of Tania Gibson

Tania Gibson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Graham Boast

Graham Boast, Accredited Partner

• 11,704 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tania.

Firstly, full disclosure: I'm a Simplified BAS anarchist, refuse to use it, and rap my clients over the knuckles with a ruler if they go anywhere near it.

The issue with the simplified BAS setup in Reckon is inconsistent design - W1 is linked to the Payroll Item, whereas W2 is linked to the liability account rather than the more logical Payroll Item PAYG Tax. 

For most BAS there are 6 numbers (G1,1A,1B,W1,W2,T1) that are required, and you should already have all of these figures from reports that you need to do to ensure that you BAS is correct.  One of the reports is either the Payroll Summary or the Payroll Totals report. Either will give you the correct PAYG Withholding figure.  

If you really really must use this form, and a not deterred by a rap across the knuckles with a ruler, you can just overtype the W2 figure.

Graham 0409317366
graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Photo of Tania Gibson

Tania Gibson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Graham much appreciated - as I thought and yes, I do the back up reports as a cross check.   I'll take the tiny rap across the knuckles and do as you suggest and over type the W2 figure.
Photo of Kerri

Kerri, Accredited Partner

• 566 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I totally agree about the Simplified BAS and how you check figures for the BAS.

(Edited)