Best option for Reckon on new Macbook Pro

Sam_10782870
Sam_10782870 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Help please! We are a small family farm business (no employees) who have been using RECKON ACCOUNTS HOME & BUSINESS forever (well Quicken then Reckon!) and I am conversant with it and have no wish to change. 
HOWEVER, I have recently bought a brand new Macbook Pro which is amazing, but doesn't support my accounting software.
I can see TWO OPTIONS-
Run the bootcamp that will enable me to have windows and install what I've been using. Does anyone know if that uses up heaps of space and does it reduce the functionality of my Macbook?
or
Go with Reckon One and start the financial year from scratch? Is it better to go with cloud based accounting software? Then how do I get all my history from Reckon Accounts into Reckon One?

Thanks in advance 
I'm really appreciative of anyone who's taken the time to read this and wants to give their two cents worth!
Have a great day
Sam

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2020
    Hi Sam,
    While I can't speak for the Virtual Machine side of things as I've never used it and more so isn't officially supported, I understand there are a few Reckon Personal Range users who utilise this method. Perhaps fellow Community members can raise their input on that.

In regard to the second aspect however,
    Go with Reckon One and start the financial year from scratch? Is it better to go with cloud based accounting software? Then how do I get all my history from Reckon Accounts into Reckon One?
    As you've mentioned Reckon One is a full cloud based solution which operates on vastly different technology platform than the desktop-based programs like Reckon Home & Business.
    There is no direct import method for your current file into Reckon One however there is a migration service we have which you may take care of some of this - 
    https://www.reckon.com/au/data-conversion/.
    The team can take a look your file and provide a quote on this where required.

Now in saying all that, my first recommendation to you would be to take Reckon One for a test run using the 30 day trial first because it is quite a bit different to your current program and to be transparent it doesn't have some of the features that are unique to the Personal Range eg. share price downloads, foreign currency downloads etc.
    https://www.reckon.com/au/accounting-software/

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Sam_10782870
    edited July 2020
    Thanks so much for your prompt response Ray. 
    As I said, I really have no desire to move away from my current Reckon version, but will do whatever is best. I've done some 'googling' but that's fraught with danger, so many opinions! I'd rather consider educated responses on the matter. 
    Food for thought.
    Thanks again,
    Sam
  • Sam_10782870
    edited July 2020
    Thanks Kevin, there seems to be plenty of resources to learn how to use it. Then it would just be a matter of getting my history into it somehow. I will have to suss it out. Appreciate your reply.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    My question to you would be why are you not considering Reckon Hosted which does work on a Mac, based on my knowledge of others who are using a Mac?
    John L G

• Sam_10782870
    edited August 2020
    Hi John, I'm so sorry I missed your comment. I didn't know that was an option, but now I will read into it! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply