Bill clients with different chargeout rates.

Andrew_8026801
Andrew_8026801 Member Posts: 4
 We bill our clients by hourly rates. Is there a method of increasing the chargeout rate of each staff member whilst preserving historical rates and being able to charge the different rates in the invoice? Eg; charge a job with some hours at 2015 rates and some hours at 2016 rates

Comments

• Geoff_7883036
    Geoff_7883036 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2016
    What version of QB are you using?

• Andrew_8026801
    edited February 2016
    Reckon Accounts Premier 2014
  • Shannon Sciuto
    Shannon Sciuto Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2018
    Hi Andrew, 

I'd need some more clarification to understand exactly what you're after - different rates for different employees or different rates for different years? 

There's a few things you could try: 

Set a billing rate level for each employee: 

Employees > Edit employee > Addition info tab > create and select billing rate level 

Set a billing rate level for customers

Customers > Edit customers > Additional info tab > create and select price level 

Create a new set of items for 2016 year

Export your item list > make bulk adjustments in excel and save (modify the name to avoid overriding current items) > import new items back in to Reckon

I hope this helps!!
  • Andrew_8026801
    edited February 2016

Hi Shannon

I currently have set up with different rates for different employees and that must remain. I was hoping for an option that allowed for the increase of rates at various times (say yearly), but kept the original rates against existing hours.

Seems I might have to go with the new items option. I was hoping there was an easier alternative that is easier for my employees as some clients will be charged at 2015 rates until a part of a project is ended and then will be on increased rates for the remainder of the project and I was hoping to avoid my employees possibly making an error.

Thanks for considering my issue.

• Babi
    Babi Alumni Posts: 75
    edited June 2016
    Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your query! Sounds like possible,

Steps to try>

1. Create different price level. List> Price level list> Right click- New> and choose an item and apply the price rate as required.

2. Customer Centre> Select the customer - double click > additional info> select the price level> ok

3. Now when you pull up the invoice> select the same item> pulls up customized rate> (In case if you need to change the price, you can always overwrite it  while creating invoice)

So this allows you to create multiple price level for same customer or for a different customer and against the different items. You can see the reports based onto what price the customer has been charged ( meaning keeps up historical information).

If you are looking for creating list of all old price rates and new, you cannot see it as list, except for the one before and the new one, but the report will show up  the rates as in the transactions( historical tracking).

Hope this helps, if any thing more, please feel free to explain me, I will try again to find it more for you.

Regards,

Babi

• Andrew_8026801
    edited February 2017

Hi Babi

Thanks for your input, but I don't think its quite what I need.

After a bit of "playing" I think that Billing Levels or creating a new item for each rate rise are my possible options.

Thanks

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Andrew

You're not alone in this typical business situation of having different rates for what is the same thing, and also for different customers, AND AT THE SAME TIME.
    From a contractual/performance point of view, old rates sometimes need to continue long after new rates should in fact be in place, and what you're seeking, is an ability to handle that PER CUSTOMER, and PER ITEM.   Using per levels per customer, per item is the answer.

I think a little emphasis on the fact that Babi has provided two answers in one, and the latter part of her suggestion should be reconsidered

Babi wrote:  .....
    If you are looking for creating list of all old price rates and new, you cannot see it as list, except for the one before and the new one, but the report will show up  the rates as in the transactions( historical tracking).

Because of the typical situation of having an EXISTING customer, with unfinished work that you want to honour at the OLD rate, whilst the same ITEM for another customer, my be ready for the NEW RATE, and both of these are at the same accounting period,  then the underlined aspect of Babi's idea is worth careful consideration.

Gary