Can any one tell me why the super for one of my employees is calculating wrong??

Joselyn Oriel
Joselyn Oriel Member Posts: 12
edited January 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Can any one tell me why the super for one of my employees is calculating wrong?? I have checked the percentage amount in the Item List and on the employees pay record.  I had to go in and change the name of the super fund from the basic "Super" to the name of their fund.  I had already setup this fund in the Item list so just had to change the name.  All the percentages are correct, just having weird calculations?!

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Have you checked which payroll items in the setup super is being calculated on or not calculated on

• Joselyn Oriel
    edited November 2014
    Yep, all correct.  I've been going through all my employees and it looks like it's doing it to all of them!  Very random.  It look to have something to do with the 450 threshold.   Will calc some but not others and then will not do a running total correctly.
  • Joselyn Oriel
    edited November 2014

If I go into the pay, unlock it, change the find and then change it back and get out, it fixes the problem.  I REALLY don't want to have to go through all my transactions and fix it!

• Charley
    edited January 2020
    With the 450.00 threshold the first pay or first two pays may not calculate super because it is under the threshold, the next pay will then calculate the last two plus the current pay then you get a large super amount. If the employee earns over 450.00 per month then cut out the 450.00 threshold and it will calculate correctly on each pay
  • Joselyn Oriel
    edited November 2014

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Charles - I get how the threshold works, no prob there.  There must be a glitch somewhere because it is very random....no pattern to what super item I have set up or which employee or even a date range.  I just happened to stumble across it and started to check into all the pays.

@Kevin - I will be checking it every month from now on, but in regards to accepting what the pc tells me, what is the point of having a program to do all this if your cant trust it!  If I have entered everything correctly, shouldn't Reckon be held accountable if there "payroll software" is not giving me the right information?!

• Joselyn Oriel
    edited November 2014
    But what if it isn't garbage that went in?  Not saying that in don't make mistakes, have made more than my fair share but I nearly always find them - and they are usually stupid ones.  But I just can't see where I have gone wrong here - especially if fixing it means going in, unlocking the pay and then saving it.  Didn't have to change any info, sometimes its in the middle of the month, sometimes at the end....can't figure it out but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with data entry or the setup of the pay items.  I will get onto advantage on Monday and see if they can sort it, and I promise, if it was something I did, I will come on here and let you know ;o)
  • Charley
    edited January 2020

Kevin you're in a bad mood today old son, I said if they earn over then cut it out but if they are irregular then you would have to keep it in. I agree you have to check each time before you pay to the super fund no issue. PS I'm not a Yank and I won't be called Chuck, too bloody old for that :-)

Joselyn, I'm not talking about the super payroll item but the payroll items that are linked to that super item. Depending on how it is set up the eg leave Loading item will be ticked to attract super; you would need to go in and untick that otherwise it will calculate on leave loading. I have clients that use multiple payroll items with allowances; shift allowances and Gawd knows what else and while I have had super do strange things I have always found that it is the operator that has either done something or left something out. Reckon is only a glorified database and 1+1=2 always when it says 3 then you've probably double tapped the 1 and gone 1+1+1. I have worked with QuickBooks and Reckon for 20 years now and have found it in all aspects and particularly super to be utterly stable and reliable. It all comes down to what has been input.

Sorry to make it sound like that but you need to double check, triple check and more if need be. I've had to do it and it has always been the operator whether it was myself or someone else who made the error.

• Charley
    edited January 2020
    If you've done the payroll then the super will stay the same; if any changes are made after to the payroll items it does not effect that payroll and then what you've done is the correct way to deal with it; Any changes that are needed need to be made prior to even opening pay employees