Can I create a new Entity and copy the accounts list from a current one? This is using the new Recko

Marilyn_7681488
Marilyn_7681488 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
I would like to set up another set of Company Accounts and have been searching to see if I can duplicate a copy of a current entity (Company Account) and use this with the new Company? This is using the new Reckon Accounts Hosted latest version.Thanks Marilyn

Comments

• Steve Metlitzky
    Steve Metlitzky Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Hi Marilyn, happy to try help - just want to understand what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to
    a) Create a complete Duplicate of your existing company with a new name and run them both
    b) Create a new company and just copy your chart of accounts
    c) Create a new company and just copy your customers?

If you can perhaps describe in a bit more detail what you're trying to do 

Cheers
    Steve

• Marilyn_7681488
    edited August 2015

Hi Steve,

Yes to (a) I am going to duplicate an existing company. A little more complicated as I want to start afresh with a current company so from past experience I think I will have to rename so as to be able to access the old data. I want to be able to refresh to start again so as to fix all the previous problems in the balances and mistakes made in entries etc. so having the same set of accounts all with zero balances but bringing through the bank balances. Of course keeping all my employee,suppliers and customer lists would be great too.

I am new to Reckon Hosted so it is very different and I do not want to loose the old data file.

I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards Marilyn

• Steve Metlitzky
    Steve Metlitzky Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Hi Marilyn,
    Okay so Reckon has the facility (somewhat there but somewhat limited) to Export and Import certain files.

I'm not reckon support, just another Reckon user so please whatever you do, make backups and proceed carefully and/or with assistance from someone who knows what they are doing.  We just Merged 2 companies into a single Database and the only way this was possible was because of my software background as some of the stuff (like certain inventory elements) are undocumented.

For simple stuff like Customers, Suppliers etc though it is quite straight forward.

This is done in single user mode and go to 
    Files -> Utilities -> Export -> Lists to IIF Files

They have to be done one by one (even though it looks like you can multi-select).

Essentially they create files with a .IIF extension that are basically a .CSV file that Excel can read if you need to modify something (for example clear balances or values in a certain column).  As long as you retain the structure of the file and rename it back to .IIF then you can import this, again through the Files->Utilities Menu

Perhaps create a copy of your company by doing a backup and restoring into a new company and then try one file to start - for example Customers, clear the balances and then import them to see if it starts to give you what you want. 

There is quite a lot of info online and probably in this forum about IIF exports, imports etc which might be of assistance.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Steve

• Marilyn_7681488
    edited August 2015

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your trouble. I will look into this and as you say it is not straight forward so better to back up and also use help if needed.

That was quite a lot to get my head around I must admit.

Sometimes there is a simple solution and sometimes not.

I am sure I have done this before in a previous version of QuickBooks but probably a few years back.

Anyway thanks again.

Kind regards

Marilyn

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Marylyn

The easiest way to create a new file is the backup the current file, then restore it with a new name. 

Open the new file and give it a different colour via Edit > Preferences > Desktop View > Colour Scheme.  You can then clean out the old file via File > Utilities > Clean Up Company Data > Remove All Transactions.

This process leaves you will all your lists, memorised transactions and memorised reports in place.  You can easily remove unwanted list items via Ctrl-D - as there are no transactions it will normnally delete.

You can then bring in your opening balances: 30th June Balance Sheet balances via Journal Entry or via Lists>Chart of Accounts>select account > right click > Edit > Enter Opening Balance.  Transaction should be dated 30 June.

You will need to also enter:

Unpresented cheques - assign to Opening Bal Equity Account WITHOUT a GST Code

Open Invoices.  Set up an "Other Charge" Item OpenBal linked to Opening Balance Equity.  Enter the invoice total as follows:
    • if accrual GST, as a single line without a tax code;
    • if cash GST, and all of the Tax Invoice is either all GST or all GST free, as a single line using the tax codes GST or FRE as applicable
    • if cash GST, and the Tax Invoice is a mixture of GST and GST free items, then as 2 lines, with the GST line equal to 11 times the GST total for the invoice, and the remainder as a 2nd line using FRE as the tax code
    Unpaid Bills.  Code to Opening Bal Equity. GST treatment as per opening invoices.

Inventory Balances via Suppliers > Inventory Activities > Adjust Qty/Value On Hand.

If you have large numbers of opening tranactions to bring in (debtors, creditors, inventory), this process can be automated via the New File Wizard under Phone > Dial > Graham > 0409317366.

Good luck.  It is a good skill to learn if you are a contract bookkeeper.

Graham Boast 0409317366
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    www.reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Graham.  That sounds like a terrific option:
    New File Wizard under Phone > Dial > Graham > 0409317366.
    Congratulations on having a feature well needed....

Gary

• Carl Wilson
    Carl Wilson Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    Hi A welth of knowledge Graham. Exactly what i need to do. After just taking over a business i need to set up a new company file but retail customers item lists etc. I have made sales on the old file and duplicated the receipts. Rather than re-enter these i assume i can enter the totals into journal entries so the stock remain accurate. Kind Regards Carl Wilson Orbit Lighting Peak energy 0424208778
  • bec_9163064
    bec_9163064 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Hi Graham, I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if this method of creating new file is still valid? It sounds perfect in theory, although trying to do it with my file, it does not seem to want to delete all my data :( Now the reckon help line are advising against cleaning up company data as it corrupts the company file?? do you have any comments?
    regards 

Rebecca
  • Graham Boast_8683921
    Graham Boast_8683921 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Hi Rebecca
    My first piece of advice is to only create a new company file where there are compelling reasons for doing so.  Often new companies are created to rectify speed issues. Quite often the issue is not the company file but how reckon has been configured on the network and/or firewall issues

From the sound of it if all the transactions aren't letting from the file you may have some corruption issues anyway.

This is a big job, particularly if there is inventory involved.  I do this in a four step process:
    • creating the company shell
    • culling and importing the lists (chart, classes, items, customers, suppliers, employees, templates etc) from the old file to the new file

• [file is ready for new transactions]   
    • creating and importing transaction files to reflect 30 June balances for Debtors, Creditors & Inventory
    • importing balance sheet for remainder of accounts
    Whilst I frequently encourage people to have a go, for new files I generally recommend people use the new file wizard (Me!)

My contact details follow if you would like to discuss.

Graham Boast 0409317366
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    Reckon Accredited Partner

• Jacqueline Herrera
    Jacqueline Herrera Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017

Thanks guys that was great info for what I needed to do!

Jacqui