Can I setup new Holiday Loading payroll items?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
I want to set up holiday loading payroll items for various departments so that an employee who is paid leave loading in Dept 1 has this loading allocated to that dept in the P&L.  Same goes for Dept 2, 3, 4 etc.  At the moment there is only 1 payroll item list called 'Holiday Loading (all)' and when I try to set up additional payroll items there is nowhere in the set up to indicate to pay the 17.5% on annual leave hours only.  It will calculate the leave on all hours, including overtime.......
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • there must be a reason!

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 48,450 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Why aren't you using classes?
Photo of Deb

Deb

The Accountant wants the total dispersed amongst the actual payroll departments that the employees who took the leave (loading) are in, some of which are COGS, not expense A/C's.  
Hi Deb

Classes are used for exactly this purpose ..... They can be allocated to both Expense accounts AND COGS.

In a Pay, whatever account that line's Payroll Item is linked to (or the applicable accounts for the entire Pay, if preferred) is the account(s) that will be classified.
There's even a default "P & L By Class" report! 

.... It sounds like this is precisely what your accountant is wanting ...?

Shaz Hughes Dip(Fin) ACQ NSW, MICB

Reckon Accredited Professional Partner Bookkeeper / Registered BAS Agent (No: 92314 015)

Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

Ballajura, WA

0422 886 003

shazinoz2@bigpond.com

www.accounted4bs.com

Photo of Kevin Russell

Shaz I've suggested this 2wice and been shot down. It's EXACTLY what classes are for.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Get him to set it up. Honestly he is being a goose.
Photo of Deb

Deb

That's the point, we can't set up another payroll item that will only pay loading on annual leave hours.  If you know how to can you let us know please..........??
Photo of Kevin Russell

Leave loading is only paid on annual leave. Why aren't you using classes?
Photo of Deb

Deb

We are not getting anywhere here, I've already explained what we are querying.

Is there anyone else who can help with this?
Photo of Kevin Russell

If you use classes you can journal it wherever you want. Or don't.
Photo of Deb

Deb

That's the problem, the accountant doesn't want the journals to be done anymore.........  Obviously there is no other way around this so I will let her know.
Thanks.
Photo of Sari

Sari

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Deb, I'm with you on this (I don't like to journal any more than I have too - and if Reckon is handled correctly, you rarely do.). I use multiple classes and use multiple payroll item Leave Loading. To get the result you are after, you would need to set payroll to "Job costings, Class and Item Tracking" to "entire Pay Cheque". The only problem with this is, that your employee would need to be entitely in one class, not obver several. If they are, then you'd set the tracking to "earnings Item" but the LL would come up as unclassified. I get around this by calling my LL items by their class - Holiday loading Class 1 for example.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Fire the "accountant". Easy peasey