Can I update my Quickbooks data file from Version 5.0U Release R3zP to the current version?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I use a 1998 version of Quickbooks (Version 5.0U Release R3zP) I bought in South Africa and have been using in New Zealand ever since. Can I update the data file to run on the latest version?
Photo of Andrew Seeley

Andrew Seeley

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

That's some great mileage out of your programme.

Unfortunately only Australian/NZ versions of QuickBooks will upgrade to current editions of Reckon Accounts Business/Hosted.

It may be time to consider a new company file as the integrity of company files diminishes over time and with change of operating systems.  See this guide on starting a new company file to bring across all your lists, balances and open transactions into a new file.  

regards,
John
Photo of Andrew Seeley

Andrew Seeley

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Thanks John

I don't use the application often, it's mainly used for property management so I only open it to enter bank statement data and to do six-monthly GST returns and the annual account preparation.  The data file is only about 5MB.  It now only runs on a very old laptop.  Should I buy a new basic Reckon desktop package and try to transfer/import opening balances from my old file?

Cheers

Andrew

Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Andrew,

The problem with old files is running on new technology.  While you have an old machine to run the old programme and you are happy with the arrangement, then stay with it.  However, once that machine has to be replaced you'll experience some loss of functionality and perhaps irregular behaviour with the old programme.  It comes down to picking your time.

Hope this helps.

regards,
John