Can I upgrade to hosted 2018 R2 from a .QBB file (2017 R2) without doing another backup?

Teena Connolly
Teena Connolly Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Trying to upgrade to hosted 2018.  Our file is rather large and needed a rebuild so I downloaded the file and did the rebuild/verify/backup on Enterprise 2017 R2.  I am now ready to upload the QBB file and open in Hosted 2018 R2.  Firstly will this work (I think I have done something similar when we originally went onto hosted last year) and secondly, can I do this without having to do a full backup on hosted? Anything like this that I try to do online/hosted takes forever and logs me out :(      

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Hi Teena - yes, this will work - create a portable backup file in 2017R2 on the desktop - then upload this file... (if it is large it will take awhile to upload, and when the progress bar for uploading disappears - WAIT!!! - there is a further time lag while it finishes copying...)....check that the file is uploaded and you know where it is... then, using the launch 2018R2 option - choose to restore the portable file - Restore as a new name to the required location... then when it wants to upgrade, say yes, when it asks to do a backup, click Cancel - it should then proceed to do the upgrade...  cheers Linda  PS.  make sure all users know what the new name of the file is and that they open the correct one once its upgraded to 2018.
  • Teena Connolly
    edited July 2018
    Thanks so much Linda for your reply.  Do you recommend a portable backup over just a standard verified backup?  I have a standard backup but can easily make a portable backup if this will be easier, Cheers Teena. 
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Portable backups have the added bonus of doing similar checks and maintenance on a file (during both the creation and the restore process) similar to a rebuild - they are also smaller and take less time to upload....  Cheers Linda
  • Teena Connolly
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for your help guys it looks like it worked perfectly :) and the whole process including download/rebuild/verify/backup/upload/upgrade only took a few hours.  I was expecting it to take much longer!