Can somebody please provide advise on how i can activate when all I get is an ERROR: opening the cac

Andrew Wernbacher
Andrew Wernbacher Member Posts: 16
edited August 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Activation issues

Comments

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    The RECKON activation desk suggested downloading and reinstalling the software from the Reckon Community. Not clear on where to do this from.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    Hi there Andrew,

Sorry looks like there might have been a little mix up from the team, you'll find your software downloads available in the Members Area rather than on the Community here.

Just head over to the Members Area HERE and login with your Customer ID & PIN and click on Download Software on the left to locate your software.

I'd recommend performing a clean uninstallation so that you remove all remnants of the software including any corrupt files contributing to this problem.
    INFO here - 
    Performing a clean un-install and re-install of Reckon Accounts Business

Let me know how you get on

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Do I un-install before I download?
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    It won't matter Andrew :) You can do it before or after.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    is there a fee for reactivation and if so what is the fee and the duration that the activation is current?
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Hi Rav

Program uninstalled and reinstalled as suggested with same result ERROR: Opening the cached wizard page.

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Still cant activate
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Rav. Am I wasting my time trying to get this program going? I've been at it for 4 hours and am running out of time. Can this issue be resolved?

• Rav
    edited August 2017
    Which program and version are you installing? What's your operating system?
    Are you upgrading from a previous version or is this a brand new install?

I've found a KB article which relates to that specific error message which I'd recommend taking a look at here -

Error on cached wizard page when trying to Activate

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Im using Reckon Accounts for small business 2014 on windows 7 (i think)
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    I saw the link myself and was wondering if I copy the files into the :\Program Files\Intuit\Quickbooks\Components\Services\ folder. I have located the files in the C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\ Shared\ file
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    not upgrading...just trying to use an existing version that seems to need activation.

• Rav
    edited August 2017
    At this stage I think its best that you start again as it shouldn't be this hard.

Clean uninstall your current installation and preferably use a 3rd party uninstaller. For example, you can download the free Revo Uninstaller here 
    This will remove ALL traces of the program from your PC. Ensure that your TEMP folder is cleared and there are no instances of previous Reckon Accounts installations present within there.

Once that is done, reinstall in Selective Startup mode, details found at the bottom of the Performing a clean un-install and re-install of Reckon Accounts Business ?article and listed below also.

Install Accounts Business in Selective Startup Mode

1. Close all programs;

2. Login to your PC as the built-in Administrator;

3. Start > type: msconfig > Enter;

Windows XP users:  Start > Run > type: msconfig > Enter;

4. Click on the Services tab;

5. Tick the box Hide all Microsoft services;

6. Click Disable all >OK;

7. Click Restart to reboot your computer;

8. Install Reckon Accounts Business;

9. Activate Reckon Accounts Business;

10. Apply any services packs and patches;

11. Revert to Normal Mode:

1. Start > type: msconfig > Enter;

Windows XP users:  Start > Run > type: msconfig > Enter

2. Click on Normal Setup> OK;

3. Click Restart to reboot your computer.

Once that is done you can open the program and enter the Licence Key that you obtained on your earlier phone call.

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    agreed...shouldn't be this difficult. Its really frustrating.
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Same error!!!
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    interestingly....I just had a call from Reckon who asked some questions and then hung up unexpectedly. we briefly discussed the error message....I assume that they'll call back??
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited August 2017
    Hello Andrew,

How did you go after re-installing and following the directions in 
    Error on cached wizard page when trying to Activate ?

regards,
    John

• Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Hi John

Issue remains as of my last message 4 days ago. I followed instruction but got the same error message. Any other suggestions? Its obviously something related to this PC.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

AW 
  • John G
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Andrew,

Can you confirm that you have the ActWzd.html & lcgn.html files in the C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\ Shared\ directory?

regards,
    John
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    yes they are both there but both files icons seem more faintly colored than the other xxxxx.html files. Could this indicate some  issue?

AW
  • John G
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Andrew,

The lighter shade suggests those files are "hidden" to ordinary users.  They should not be, but it really shouldn't make a difference.  Nevertheless it would not hurt to make them normal, so right click them and select Properties, and then on the Attributes line uncheck the Hidden box.

You should also run your programme as an administraotr.  On your desktop launch icon, right click it and select Properties and then the Compatibility tab.  tick the box Run this program as an administrator.

Now give  Activating a go.  

If it fails again, reboot your PC into Selective startup mode and try again.

If it fails again, login to your PC as the Built-In Admin and try again.  

regards,
    John
  • Andrew Wernbacher
    edited August 2017
    Hurray... Unhiding the files seems to have worked. Thanks for your assistance.

AW