Importing a Bank Statement into Quicken

michael marks_6465410
michael marks_6465410 Member Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
can i import a csv list of expenses into an account

Comments

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    Hi Michael, any transactions you want to appear in the program needs to be imported using the IIF format. If you have a requirement to regularly import transactions into your data file, it would be a good idea to use some kind of 3rd party software such as ZedAxis

-IM
  • Adam Davis
    Adam Davis Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    There is also the QODBC path ...but I have never got that off the ground as it used to consume a licence a force me into single bloody user mode! ... which once you have a database style connection to the Reckon data file you can supposedly read and write a subset of the data. You would still need a Microsoft Access type interface to process the input and feed it into the QODBC pipe... And I understand that the interface is slow because it actually translates everything into XML along the way.
  • michael marks_6465410
    edited February 2017
    thanks for this information. but I need a simple solution - to be more specfic - I have in this case 100 lines of expenses in a CSV file (downloaded from a bank) - how would I go about importing this into a "quicken home & business " account
  • Thomas Robertson
    Thomas Robertson Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I use an Excel based converter called CSV2QIF from Propersoft, who offer a number of conversion programs. Take a look at www.propersoft.net.
    Ian Robertson
  • michael marks_6465410
    edited December 2013

thanks for that solution - I also found another - but still none for free

http://bigredconsulting.com/products/quicken-import-tools/

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016

Hi Michael,

QIF is the format to import bank statements into Accounts Personal and Accounts Business (the old Quicken and Quickbooks).  Most banks will give you the option to export to a QIF file – sometimes it’s called Quicken or AUS Quicken.

Can you get another copy in this format?

Regards,

John

• michael marks_6465410
    edited December 2013
    Hi John - I am using Travelex - they do not have any output format at all - so I have just copied their report and pasted it to excel. Bank entries are OK. Why is it that Quicken does not allow CSV import anyway?
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017

Hello again Michael,

Importing data from 3rd party sources has never been a primary feature for our products – Accounts Business has more options than Accounts Personal. 

We understand that the role of downloading from bank accounts has changed and our forthcoming new product ReckonOne will have a banking module to allow direct download from bank accounts.  

QIF has become a standard format that enables you to match a bank entry to your Accounts entry and add more information to the transaction and keep track of its status so you do not double up. 

Regards,
    John

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    Hi Michael, so you need a free AND simple solution.

You're more likely to find:

1) A simple solution where someone has created a soluton to save you time, therefore they will charge you for it

2) A free solution which requires you to do add some effort to get it working

Quicken doesn't allow free-form import of CSV data as that would require field mapping and other transformations, whereas they already have a QIF format specification designed to bring import/export data.

-IM