cancel old bill

  • 2
  • Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)

Over a year ago we received a bill for $1250 from a supplier for some advertising signage we wanted.  I entered the bill like normal, and paid $250 as a deposit.  A year later and the supplier has said they can't do our job and has refunded me the $250. 

The open Bill over the last year has been bothering me and I just want to see it cancelled.  How do I do this correctly?

My guesses???...
Enter a credit from the supplier for $1000.
Enter a second credit from the supplier for $250.
Deposit the refund of $250

I just don't know how it will all line up, I want the end result to be $0!

Photo of Rebecca


  • 562 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

  • 34,772 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Rebecca, this might be best to have your Accountant deal with a Journal entry.
Hi Rebecca

Yes you are on the right track just one more step - you raise the credit for $1250, when you do the deposit use the supplier name in the 'name' column - the 'account' is Accounts Payable, the amount of course is the $250 refund....then go to paybills, you will see the $250 (deposit) as a bill, click on the bill, then apply credit of $250.

Kim M: 0429 305300 E: