Cannot delete name because it is being used in at least 1 transaction or has a balance, yet the name

Options
Orkun Evren
Orkun Evren Member Posts: 41
Windows 10, Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2017, dedicated server and 8 work stations..... This has been an ongoing problem for nearly 7 years but now we are trying to clear our files of unwanted clutter and there seems to be quite a few names with no history or transactions that we cannot get rid of. Any help appreciated.....image

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How sure are you that the customer or supplier has zero balance rand no transactions?
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi there - if you right click on a name and select Find - then search for anything with that name - can you then see why it wont allow you to delete the name?  I expect it has been used somewhere along the way?  You may just have to make it inactive and move on - if you were to merge these names (say into one name such as Old Customers)... you would actually be changing some of your historical records, which you may or may not want to do?
  • Orkun Evren
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have done searches on history etc and there is nothing. no transactions, no payments. We create bout 90-100 quotes a day and it is when we delete the quotes we get rid of the names but on quite a few now we just cant delete them.This did actually happen quite some years back and a reckon tech had told me there is a way to get rid of them. He ran me through it and there were quite a few steps to deleting them. It was about an hour mission by the time we got through it but unfortunately there is nothing online or in kb

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm thinking a verify,  or a utilities --->  rebuild process might help.  OR:  change the namr to  **delete later ...<old name too> ...** and mark as inactive if really stuck. in the short tem ,  You'd end up with a bunch of closely sorted, adjacent  inactive names for future research.
  • Orkun Evren
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Verify done, rebuild done... unfortunately nothing. There is a workaround for getting over this as I said because 7-8 years ago one of the techs had taken me through a list of procedures but as it was so long winded I cannot for the life of me remember it. We have hundreds like this. Our data file is 1.65gb so quite large. 

• Linda ABC
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Have you checked that the name isn't used in a memorised transaction?
  • Orkun Evren
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes Linda sure have. I have been using this software since v2.0 so nearly 2 decades and have been through all the obvious checklists. I try and keep memorised transactions clear as I have found it is one thing that does tend to throw up errors with corrupted mt's 
  • Linda ABC
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ok - well then without seeing either screen dumps or the file itself, I am not sure what your next steps would be... one thing I would probably do is something similar to Gary's suggestion - create a name called (old names to be deleted) or similar - then go to each of the names you are trying to remove and edit their name - when it says it wants to merge - agree to this... any transactions in the system will all merge to this - the individual address fields etc on any transaction you haven't been able to find should still reference the original name... this will at least reduce your 100's of old names down to one single one which you can then make inactive... then if you select this name in the Customer list, right click on it and select Find (which I believe gives you the best chance of finding ALL instances of a name)... then you may see some transactions come up in the search box which may give you clues as to why you couldn't find them before?  Worth a try?
  • Sue Renouf
    Sue Renouf Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi Orkun, Have you checked the Unbilled Costs by Job report and filter it to their name? Under Reports, Jobs, Time & Mileage, then the Unbilled Costs by Job report? Sounds whacky but...
    Left field offer...
    Sue