Cannot email from Reckon Accounts 2014 using Windows 8.1 Mail App

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved

I keep getting an error message saying Reckon Accounts cannot find my default mail provider in the Windows registry even though I have set Mail as my default mail provider.  I then get a second error message saying an internal error occurred while preparing the message and it has not been sent.  MAPI error code 00000000 (0) at line 468 in sendemail.ccp.

I tried calling tech support and they refused to help because I don't have Outlook.  I also searched the forum (which tech support claimed had all the answers) but cannot find a solution.  The solution for using Live Mail with Windows 7 does not work for Mail and Windows 8.1.  The registry is different.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Photo of Mia Cranes

Mia Cranes

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mia,

Sorry of the difficulties you are having with the email client and your experience with us.

People's experience with the Windows 8.1 Mail App has not been rewarding:
http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/28774-windows-8-default-mail-program.html

The solution seems to be to install Windows Essential and use the Windows Live Mail of that package:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/windows-8-set-defaul....

You may need to make some adjustments in your configuration.  For Windows 7 Live Mail our suggestion was:
  1. Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Program Access & Computer Defaults. 
  2. Alongside whichever option has the radio button on the right click the 2 downward chevrons. In the section headed choose a default e-mail program, set Windows Mail. 
  3. Restart Windows and then launch Accounts Business and test emailing.  

It may be useful to speak to your IT consultant for a solution that is appropriate for you.

Thank you for your feedback.

regards,
John
Photo of Mia Cranes

Mia Cranes

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your response John.  I have downloaded Live Mail and set it up as my default email program, restarted my computer and tried emailing from Accounts Premier.  Unfortunately I am still getting the same error messages.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mia,

Sorry to hear the problem is persisting.  Unfortunately we have only tested and therefore support Office Outlook for emailing with Accounts Business.

The following steps may help you get Windows Live Mail working with Accounts Business.

Please confirm that your login profile to the computer is an Administrator profile and is not corrupt.

You should run both Windows Live Mail and Accounts Business with Administrator permissions - for Accounts Business, right click your Reckon Accounts desktop icon, Properties, Compatibility tab, and tick the box: Run this program as an adminstrator

Also, it may help to follow the hints of KB5056 for configuring Accounts Business 2013 on Windows 8.1.

To go further you may want to speak to your IT professional.

This sort of issue is usually due to not having access to the information of the default mail client from the registry because either:
  1. It is not configured correctly, or 
  2. insufficient permission to access the registry.  
In the Registry, make sure the default email client is correctly entered:

In Windows 7 the default name was “Windows Live Mail”.  Please check with Windows Essential for the correct spelling.  

Hope some of these hints help you email.  

regards,
John.
Photo of wayne grady

wayne grady

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
As an I.T technician I believe it is quite unfair, you as a software company only support outlook a product that costs $300AUD (including word, excel etc), you should be actively supporting a wide variety of mail clients as not everyone has outlook, i run into these types of issues frequently, especially for clients that have a multi user environment, they are very disappointed when i tell them they have to spend $300 for each pc they want this simple feature on.

An easy but time consuming work around is to export the invoice (for example) as pdf then manually email said invoice with their mail client.
Hi we may be able to help you we have now new invapp that you can down load from Google and instantly send the invoice
It's free to try if you want test it just send me email I will send you login info