Cannot email invoices using Home & Business 2016 and Windows 10

Chris Harding
Chris Harding Member Posts: 1
edited November 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi all, I've just upgraded to Home & Business 2016 (I had 2015) and I cannot email invoices using either Windows Mail or Gmail. It just says: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel. After I click OK it says "Mail login failed" however I have no problem sending and receiving emails using Mail or Gmail. I've done this, set Mail as the default program and it won't work, I've set Gmail as the default program and it won't work. I run 64 bit Windows 10 on a very new laptop. Cheers, Chris

Comments

• Anton Strauss
    Anton Strauss Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2017
    You may need to install Outlook, I did that as well just for emailing invoices

I use Thunderbird for all my email, I don't really like Outlook but Reckon does not work with Thunderbird and I have a feeling the same applies to your programs
  • Jon_1902808
    Jon_1902808 Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2017
    Strangely all my H&B versions up to and including 2016 DID interface OK with Win Live Mail, but 2017 and 2018 did not. I was told by a rep here on the forum that I'd been lucky to have had earlier success as only Outlook is supported. I've since being outputting plain text to the clipboard, pasting into a text file and attaching that to an email. At least it's formatted into rows and columns. It would be helpful if tab-delimited text was an option. That could be dropped into a prepared spreadsheet or table. Because the text has been formatted using the spacebar, it can't easily be realigned in another program.

• Anton Strauss
    edited November 2017
    you can also do the following:
    download and install cute-pdf writer (free) http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
    then go to the invoice you wish to email and click print
    in the printer list, choose the cutepdf writer and it will make you a perfect pdf invoice that you can save and attach to and email any email program ever made

technically speaking, Reckon Accounts should be made to work with any email program that is set as default email handler, maybe in 2027?

• Jon_1902808
    edited November 2017
    Nice one Anton. But you say "go to the invoice you wish to email..." I have, on one occasion, managed to find where (which folder) H&B sends the html invoices, but can you remind me?

Another thought : if you're a bit savvy with web design... send the html invoice to the clipboard and paste that into a web layout program. Could have a proforma setup with graphic header or logo and T&C in the footer... stuff that cant be currently setup in Home & Business's electronic invoices  >:(

Currently, pasting the plain text invoice into sat MS Word or Excel, results in a scrambled mess with nothing lining up, so no opportunity there to create a proforma.
  • Jon_1902808
    edited November 2017
    Boom! Works perfectly! Even included my graphic logo. Thanks Anton.
     I just had to get into the mindset of 'printing to a file'. No need to first find a file in some folder far far away. And forget any pasting of text or html mentioned above.
  • Anton Strauss
    edited November 2017
    yes, and you can name the file anything such as the invoice number in my case

using this method, you will never have any more issues emailing invoices

my preferred email program is Thunderbird (I am not a fan of Outlook even though I have it, I hardly use it)