cannot email payslips from reckon account enterprise

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Hi Reckon wont email out payslips for me using Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2014, it will email invoices and remittances no probs but it freezes when it comes to payslips and does not respond until I have to shut it down and restart. Any ideas please?
Thanks
BJ
Photo of BJ

BJ

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Yopur question is very sumilar to this other article,  except that you are on an inhouse server, BJ,  whereas the other article is on Reckon Hosted (at a Data Center).  See my comment at:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/payslips-from-accounts-hosted-2015?topic-reply-list%5Bset...

My comments below, are for the technical benefit of PSG and the Reckon Devt team,  but documented here for any other IT minded people interested in getting to the bottom of this issue, so bear with me......

I'd be interested to find out the destination email addresses of the 'employees' to determine if there is a 'MAIL SERVER' issue going on here.  It sure indicates that sort of an issue,  especially when you consider that your server (BJ) is totally unrelated to the way Amazon Data Centre's aare setup.

Either there is some 'intermittent' email issue in the application code of Enterp[rise (be it desktop/server or hosted)  OR there is a timeout/delay issue with certain email addresses,  depending on the speed/connection/destination of the email.

In simple language,  it is like the 20 year old Mcirosoft problem of assuming that all POP3 email can handle a server timeout of only 30-60seconds,  wehn in fact, the time needed to perform anti-spam, anti-malware,  POP3 delivery testing exceeds the 30-60second default setting.  The symptom is the same,and the fact that it is intermittent,  to em,  suggests that the problem is external to the servers in question.  IE:  Not a Reckon issue.

So I'm keen to see if there are any target emails in this failing scenarios, that are going to low speed email connections like hotmail.com for instance.

The testing/proof of any of this idea will come from doing some one-shot email tests for delivering just one payslip to one 'style' (domain) of address, and at the same time, being aware of the t"raceroute" (number of hops and latency involved) in such emails traversing from the Reckon Server (HOST)  to where the ISP is,  handling the email for the staff member.

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"

Photo of BJ

BJ

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Gary,
Thank you for replying, I did test emailing a payslip using only one email address or employee and it still jammed/froze my system. I run the system on a main server and sometimes if the server does not respond in a timely manner Quickbooks does not allow entry however it does email invocies and remittances no problems so I am confused as to why it wont do emails not even one.
Cheers
BJ
BJ. 

Let's see if we can help define this issue for you (and others with similar forum questions)  a little better.....

I'll respect privacy in asking this,  so respond generically or phone me.   The test that jambs...."   what is the domain name of that email address?  Is if .gmail.com  or .bigpond.com   or .optusnet.com.au  or  .hotmail.com   or is it a private domain name (in which case,  for privacy)  just say 'private.

If it is 'private'  I can call you and explain a 'traceroute' tirck to ascertain the path that the email travels from your server, ultimately to the hosted domain area for the recipients email address.   Then we can explore whether there is sufficient TIME allowed for the email pre-flight test,  and also determine what the mail server settings are for how your SMTP (outbound mail server)  is structured in your environment. 

These may be questions you'd prefer me to discuss with your IT team - that's fine.  But the intermittent nature of email,  is often due to the combination of:
a)  How the outbound server settings are set on the server
b)  Where that server is,  in terms of the HOPS from your location to where that server is.
c)  What the latency, speed and traffic is, on the internet connections between you, the SMTP server and the rest of the path that the email has to travel
d)  What anti-spam,  anti-virus,  anti-malware,  smapHausen checking.... the list is endless.... pre-flight processing programs are doing,  and most important,  how long that takes before the email actually LEAVES the application program (which just happens to be 2014 Enterprise),  but could be any other program that deals with email. 
e)  Having said all that,  true, there is still the protocol and handling needed betwen the APPLICATION and the Mail Server tools that 'send' the email.  Two differnt pieces of code (program) in possibly two different server environments.

A Victorian Analogy:  Man in Melbourne wants to to drive his car 100kms  to Geelong.  Man can drive, car is okay, Melbourne traffic is fine,  and Geelong end traffic is  fine.  But what if there is a traffic jamb in between, going over the Westgate bridge?   The result:  T A delay (jamb) in getting from A to B.    On another day, with no traffic jamb,  different, and positive result.  What iif the journey were to go via an alternative path?  Different result.  Hence intermittent results can be observed.

It's all about the ENVIRONMENT in which all this is running,  and part of that environment is not your own computers or even the Amazon HOSTED environment for that version of the Reckon product either.  It is the external environment through which the email, in this case, has to traverse.

OK - enough IT for an Accounting forum,  but these are the facts of the matter that need to be thoroughly explored, in determining why there is an intermittent situation.

Clients like yourself can help contribute to the solution of these sorts of issues,  buy sharing some of the intrinsic facts needed to explore this fully.

Call:  0408994799 anytime, and we can reverse call you at no charge to discuss.

Gary Pope

BJ- any feedback on the above ideas yet please?
FYI:  This whole EMAIL matter,  is now part of a SUPPORT TICKET:  4628229

covering THIS forum article (HERE),
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/cannot-email-payslips-from-reckon-account-enterprise

as well as:
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/payslips-from-accounts-hosted-2015?topic-reply-list%5Bset...

and

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/payslips-from-accounts-hosted-2015

Gary Pope
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/