Cannot install Reckon: Small Business Edition 2014

GjBees
GjBees Member Posts: 8
edited October 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi, I'm trying to install the upgrade to Reckon Accounts 2014. It fails with installation interrupted. I called tech support and they pointed me to this KB http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=5107

I have carried out all instructions for workaround 1 and 2 but with no luck. What I do notice is that the Microsoft Runtime Library status bar does not complete before the dialog box disappears. I do not have any Quickbooks previously installed. My original software is a clean install on a brand new PC running Windows 8.1, any suggestions before I call tech support back?

Comments

• Dan Fardon
    Dan Fardon Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2017

I am finding Windows 8.1 a bit 'touchy', in that it misbehaves and causes software to misbehave: a) when a Windows update is 'pending', or b) a MS Office update is available, or c) my MS Outlook data file needs repair, or d) I have not left my computer on but idle for 2-3 hours so that Windows can catch up on its 'internal housekeeping'. I also view the Windows Reliability Report and Event Viewer weekly to see whether any failures are occurring regularly. Re MS Office 2013, I am finding I need to do an 'on-line repair' at 3-monthly intervals. I also daily: a) manually update my professional grade internet security, and b) run a 'Quick Internet Security Scan' - and that Scan never discovers any nasties.

I am therefore wondering whether it is the Windows operating system or MS Office which are causing your Reckon software problems.

Perhaps Reckon technical staff may wish to comment on my suggestions.

I wish you well.

Dan Fardon

• GjBees
    edited November 2014
    every other piece of software I install works ok. never get a problem at the installer stage only with Reckon or Quicken in the past on an Windows XP PC. But since I do not see the Windows runtime status bar complete I'm thinking that may be a pointer to the problem.
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    hey GjBee's try some of the suggestions from one of our Tech Support Team Leaders Jason in this thread. Let me know how you go! Dan - Cheers for your input, all those things you mention might be a reason why MS announced jump straight to Win10? ;)
  • GjBees
    edited November 2014
    thanks bit I did find Jason's post and tried it. just did again now. same error.

• Deny Dharmawan
    Deny Dharmawan Alumni Posts: 141
    edited August 2016
    Hi GjBees,
    There is a few things you can try/check.
    Make sure Reckon Accounts 2014 is not listed as installed programs. You can check go to Control Panel > Programs and Features to see if it's there.
    Please follow the articles that was mentioned above closely.
    If you have not tried, please try to disable your security program temporarily, then try to install again.

Regards
    Deny Dharmawan
  • GjBees
    edited November 2014
    thanks. Reckon Accounts 2014 IS installed in Programs. Why shouldn't it be there? I have tried all the workarounds and I have disabled Virus and Firewall although programs should install OK with them activated. everything else I have installed does. Should I uninstall and then install the new version?
  • Deny Dharmawan
    edited August 2016

Hi GjBees,

Having Reckon Accounts 2014 installed in Programs will prevent you from installing the new one. Please try to uninstall then install the new version.

Regards

Deny Dharmawan

• GjBees
    edited November 2014
    In the installation disk I had a choice - Install a full version or Upgrade. If I can't upgrade then it shouldn't have been there in the first place. thanks. I'll let you know how I go.

• GjBees
    edited November 2014
    Ok. that worked. On another PC I use Reckon Accounts Personal Accounts 2013. Countless times I have tried to remove previous verison of Quicken 6, 2007, 2008 but cannot. Always get error message 'fatal' error'.

• Deny Dharmawan
    edited August 2016

Hi GjBees,

Glad that you have managed to install Reckon Accounts 2014.

Regarding removing the older version of Quicken, you may need to use WindowsInstallerCleanUp.

Below is a link to our article on doing that.

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=2736

Regards

Deny Dharmawan