Cannot move account in chart of accounts or change type

Options
PeterW
PeterW Member Posts: 5
edited July 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi there,

System: Reckon Accounts Premier Edition 2016

We have two accounts receivable accounts in the balance sheet. One is the default A/R account used by Reckon for invoicing and is set to Type=Accounts Receivable. The other A/R account is the control account for an external billing system that we use. Its type is set to Other Current Asset. This external system posts into this second A/R control account.

The problem with having two A/R accounts that are of a different 'type' is that when I print a Balance Sheet and click the Collapse button to get a summary style report, these accounts are reported separately, under different headings. I want both A/R accounts to be grouped.

Via the Chart of Accounts window I tried to drag the second A/R account up below the default A/R account. Reckon would not let me do this because "The account must stay with other accounts of its type". 

So I decided to change the second A/R account type from Other Current Asset to Accounts Receivable. This caused another message to pop up saying "You cannot change an account's type from or to A/R or A/P".

I assumed that there must be a way, so I called support (we have paid-for Advantage Support). To my dismay, the call was routed to India where the person had great difficulty understanding what I wanted to do and I could barely understand her. After struggling to communicate for some time the final response was "you just can't do it". No reason why, no real attempt to suggest any other solution or way forward. It wasn't at all helpful. I am unhappy that Reckon has off-shored all of its paid-for support.

So I am posting here in the hopes that someone knows of a workaround or some other way of tackling this issue. We just want our two A/R accounts to be in the same section (under the same heading) on the Balance Sheet. Or even if there is a reason for this not being possible. I wondered if the reason that the type can't be changed is because the default A/R control account must exist on its own. 

Regards,
Peter.

Comments

• DebonAir
    DebonAir Member Posts: 392
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You might have to just create a new account and make sure you make an accounts receivable account and make the old one inactive and relink where the external billing system is importing into.

If you dont have too many entries in that second AC register you could transfer them all, or just leave them where they are until you no longer need that account and then make it inactive.
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi Peter,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

No, you cannot change an account to the Accounts Receivable or Payable type.  You can only create them anew.  You can have more than one A/R or A/P.

The A/R and A/P accounts are Control accounts; the details are kept in separate ledgers for each Customer and Supplier.  You cannot assign transactions to the A/R or A/P Control accounts - transactions to A/R and A/P can only be made when assigned to a Customer or Supplier name.  

If your customer ledgers are managed in another programme, then you only need one generic customer in your A/R that will represent the totals from your other programme.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John.

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Peter.  Following on from what the two previous  posts are, I would be doing something like this:
    1.  Create a new A/R Control Account
    2.  Edit the existing A/R account and make it a sub account of the A/R Control account that you just created.
    3.  Create another A/R sub account of the Control Account and use this one to post your external billing system entries to.
    By having sub accounts, they should amalgamate when you collapse your balance sheet.
    John L G