Can't Login to Accounts 2018 due to backup stalling

Jarrard Barr_9713072
Jarrard Barr_9713072 Member Posts: 9
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Trying to login to the new accounts hosted 2018, but it asks us to run a backup of 2017 before transferring over to 2018.  I started running the backup at 9am and it's now 11am and it's just sitting there saying backup at 99%.  My entire staff are down not working waiting on this system to backup so we can switch over to 2018.   We can no longer use 2017 because we take payments though reckon which no longer are supported by paypal in 2017 version.  

What do I do?  This is urgent!

Comments

• KirstyD
    KirstyD Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    Did you get any kind of reply Jarrard? 
    I'm having the same problem with the backup which needs doing today. 
  • Jarrard Barr_9713072
    edited July 2018
    No not yet.  We are still down. 
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2018
    Hello Jarrad, Adelaide Fresh Fruiterers,

When a backup hangs at 99% its usually indicating a corruption in the database which will need to be corrected before you can make a backup and upgrade.

Firstly, download your company file to your local PC to act as your backup.
    Next, hold down Ctrl+Shift keys and request a Rebuild
    • File > Utilities > Rebuild Data
    • For the message that a backup will be made, click OK
    • for the message it is not recommended not to do a backup, click OK
    • once the rebuild process starts you can let go of the Ctrl+Shift keys.
    Hopefully the process will identify the error and correct it.  You should now Verify Data to confirm that there are no errors remaining in the database - Fle > Utilitties > Verify Data.

Regardless of the outcome you should examine the error logs that are available in Q:\log.  Download the verify_rebuild_data.log file to you local PC, open it with Notepad, scroll to the bottom and confirm that any errors found have been successfully repaired.  Anything that has not please address it.  

Once complete, attempt your upgrade again.

regards,
    John.
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Checkout my reply to this post and see if this might also be a solution for you?  https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-long-does-it-take-to-backup?topic-reply-list%5Bsettin...
    Regards Linda
  • Jeff Langtip_9027535
    Jeff Langtip_9027535 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2018
    We are all in the same boat here. Our Co file is not corrupt but it's near impossible to back it up. Hosted has some issues that have dragged on...and on... and on....and then they update their system smack bang at EOFY. Not smart
  • Jarrard Barr_9713072
    edited July 2018
    I logged on last night in single user mode and tried again. 

I verified data first and an issue was flagged but it gave me no potion to repair it so I assumed it was repaired and went ahead and ran a backup.  After 2.5 hours it was at 99%...so I left it.  An hour later it finished...hmmm progress.  So then it asked me to save the company file, but it wouldn't let me overwrite the original...strange.  So I either had the option to rename the file or save it in a different folder.  I saved it in Q: (root).  I then continued on and was able to update the company file no probs and access everything in single-user mode.  

I've now come into the office his morning and none of my staff have access to the company file that's saved in Q: .....great

So I had the idea to copy the company file to the old location and to my surprise it let me overwrite the old company file with the new one.  Sweet!  I thought...

Now when I try to open the company file it says all users do not have permission to open this file.  No-one can open our company file.  I can still open my version that I saved on Q:.  

So after spending 4.5 hours last night, here I am stuck on hold to tech support waiting on a solution to a problem that's been ongoing for over 12 hours.  WTF Reckon!  It SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD!!!!

• Jarrard Barr_9713072
    edited July 2018
    I'm still on hold - 40minutes so far.  

In the meantime I've reloaded my backup and created a new company file in the same folder as the original with the name changed to <FILENAME2018>.  This seemed to work and now I have 3/4 users able to access the file in multi-user mode.   The issue being that this will now have to become our new company file...

I still have 1 user who cannot even access a login screen in chrome or edge after clearing all browser cache and histories.  We simply get a 'Page isn't working' screen in Google Chrome.   I'm at a loss with this so will continue to hold for technical support...
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Jarrard - what you are describing re access to the file sounds like maybe the user who cannot access hasnt been added into the Shared Folder access area of the Dashboard?  When you go to your Control Panel and look at Manage Shared Folder Access - do you see all your users with permission to access the folder where your datafile currently sits?  check this and see if it solves your problem.  
  • KirstyD
    KirstyD Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Linda, 
    I did as you described and I can now access the 2018 version. :) The only problem I'm having is when we log in on the different computers it isn't accessing the same file. 

I'm not sure how to save to a different location than Qdrive. 
    Do you know how to fix?

Thanks
  • Jarrard Barr_9713072
    edited July 2018
    OK an hour on hold and I finally got through. 

Quick fix to get my single user working was to reset the login password, somehow worked. 

As far as the company file - it now has a new name and is working so the short fix for those that don't want to read the whole post:
    • Open in 2017 Single User mode
    • Utilities > Verify Data
    • Utilities > Rebuild Data
    • Backup (allow 3-4 hours)
    • Close and re-open in 2018
    • Restore backup
    • Rename to something different like <FILENAME2018>
    • Switch back to multi-user mode if required

This should work.   Remember to tell all users to open the new file not the old one.   I also had to transfer my images for invoice templates to the newly created folder. 
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2018
    Hello Jarrad,

Good to hear you are back up and running.  

Not sure why you could not save your restored backup to the same company file name.  Once you applied a new name that created a new company file which then has to be shared with other users.  

regards,
    John.  
  • Linda ABC
    edited July 2018
    So each user will have to go to Open an Existing File and navigate to the shared folder and select the correct file - once it has been opened the first time - the file will then open the way the previous file did...  
  • Brett Cole
    Brett Cole Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2018
    I'm Hearing you Jarrad, I've tried everything and still no luck. Been a ongoing saga unfortunately, 
  • Jeff Langtip
    Jeff Langtip Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2018
    I tried to open 2018 yesterday afternoon. I started the backup process around 1630 and it was still going when I went off to bed @ 2200. I checked it @ 0300, BUT I had been logged out and the backup did not complete. I tried again and that failed too. The system obviously has issues with the backup process... can anyone suggest a fix? We are using HOSTED.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Hi Jeff - see my post here https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-long-does-it-take-to-backup around using the Portable copy of the file to complete the upgrade to 2018... should help you...