can't update 2013 pro with r2 release after re-installing in windows 10.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
can't update 2013 pro with r2 release after re-installing in windows 10. Nothing happens after pressing the update button and files will not open.
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Larraine,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Have you activated Internet Explorer in Windows 10?  Reckon Accounts 2013 is not able to use Edge as the default browser. 

Hope this helps.

regards,
John
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

Thank you for the prompt reply. I got around it by re-installing the backup (R2) from my computer backup disk. So all good now - until the next problem shows up?!
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good to hear Lorraine,

Please see our note on Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.

regards,
John
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

Hi John. Can you please tell me if there are any advantages in updating to Reckon 2015 (other than being able to get technical advice). When something costs over $700. and your income from using Reckon is barely there, it's hard to justify the expense. I presume some of the bugs in 2013 have been dealt with, but also assume that 2015 has it's own share of bugs.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RA 2015 is still broken, you'll need to wait for RA 2016.... for it to fully work with Windows 10.
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

Thanks - People wonder why you hate updating!
Next question I have is - Why can't I get a list of previous open companies? I've opened and closed a few many times (which fixed the same error previously in Reckon 2013), but not working this time. When you exit QB and re-open, it comes up with either the last company you had open or the welcome page.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Larraine,

The decision to upgrade is a personal/business one - many people are still happily using older versions.  

Each year we have a mix of enhancements, new features and bug fixes as well as updates to the Tax Tables for payroll and updates to payroll tax.  It will keep you up-to-date with compliance changes for Payment Summaries, Taxable Payments Annual reporting, and SuperStream.  Current versions are also compatible with the latest operating system version at the time of production.  We can also support current versions.  

As you have just updated to Windows 10 you'd best wait for the 2016 release which will be fully compatible with Windows 10, before considering an upgrade.  

The list of previous files opened can be changed by File > Open Previous company >Set Number of Previous companies, and change the number of previous files to show (max is 20).

regards,
John
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

Hi John. Regarding problem with previous files displayed, -  I have set the number to 20!! (I've been using QB since it came out, so I am familiar with the program) Don't know what else to try. As I mentioned before, in previous versions where this was an issue you had to open the files two or three times in a row before it would correct. However this time that's not working.
Larraine

Your question is getting a little off the original forum question,   but:
Does anything mentioned in this similar article, or the KB article hyperlinked therein,  help you with the 'previously opened'  query?

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/the_open_previous_companies_menu_item_is_not_working_sinc...

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 (Vic, Aust)
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
 and retired FCPA Accountant"
(Edited)
Photo of Larraine

Larraine

Yes, thank you so much. There was a link to the following solution which seems to have worked even though I have Windows 10 and it was a bit harder to find the path.

Happy now. (for now)

This is the article that helped...

'Thanks for your help. FYI, I corrected the problem by going to Windows 8 Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Run programs made for previous version of Windows and running the Program Compatibility TroubleShooter; selecting ReckonAccounts Pro 2013>Troubleshoot program; and giving administrator access to the program. This seems to have fixed it.'

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.