Changing from Reckon Accounts Desktop to Hosted

Theresa Waters
Theresa Waters Member Posts: 29
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi. 

We are needing to create a New Data File as our Current Data File is becoming too large and we would like to do this for the new FY.

We are considering changing from Reckon Accounts Enterprise Desktop to Reckon Accounts Hosted and would like any input for the following, if you wish to share:
  • If we pay for 5 Licences - can we have maybe 7 users / logins but understand that only 5 users can use the Data File at one time
  • Is there a limit to the storage - if after a certain size will we need to pay additional costs etc.
  • If we decide to go with a different provider in a few years and stop paying for our subscription, are we able to still access our data
  • Most of the computers we use are Windows 7. I know that you use the Internet but is anyone having difficulties with Accounts Hosted using this Windows Operating Software
  • Can you make a local backup of the File 
Thank you 

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Hi Theresa - here is my take on your questions:
    • If we pay for 5 Licences - can we have maybe 7 users / logins but understand that only 5 users can use the Data File at one time - **you can have as many concurrent users as you have paid Hosted ID's - so if you only ever require 5 people connected at once - you pay for 5 Hosted ID's but you can have as many people/staff as you like with those ID details so that they can log in from any internet connected computer to access your datafile.
    • Is there a limit to the storage - if after a certain size will we need to pay additional costs etc. **so far Reckon have not limited any of the storage and allow users to use their Q & B drives on Hosted for storing backups, uploaded files, exported data, ABA & STP files and the like
    • If we decide to go with a different provider in a few years and stop paying for our subscription, are we able to still access our data  **part of your hosted subscription includes the ability to install Desktop Enterprise on one machine for each Hosted ID you have paid for - so if you were to change providers - you can install Enterprise on a desktop PC and restore a backup of your file and retain view access to your old data even after your subscription expires
    • Most of the computers we use are Windows 7. I know that you use the Internet but is anyone having difficulties with Accounts Hosted using this Windows Operating Software  **both myself and many of my clients are still running Reckon Accounts Hosted on Windows 7 computers - no trouble at all
    • Can you make a local backup of the File **as suggested by Kevin -yes, you should backup your file regularly - to answer your question - yes, you can backup to your Hosted B drive - then download these files to your local computer.
    Hope this helps to clarify your options a bit further.  :)
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited August 2020
    Too many reasons to list!!! not least of which is - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"  !!
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just a comment on the storage aspect.  There does not necessarily seem to be a good reason for keeping too many backups on the B drive as they should be downloaded to your local drive daily as stated by both Kevin and Linda.  I have the oldest ones automatically delete after 3 backups are held.  If you don't delete these backups, eventually Reckon will come knocking because of the space being taken up.
    John L G
  • Theresa Waters
    edited August 2020
    Thank you to you all. We have decided to go with Reckon Accounts Hosted 
  • Louise A
    Louise A Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    How did it work out for you?  We briefly went to hosted a few years ago but changed back within a day as backups took hours and our internet was not stable so we kept getting kicked off if the internet connection blinked.  We're looking at hosted again due to Covid lockdown levels and wondered if we should give it another try.
  • Louise A
    Louise A Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    oh no, I was hoping it would have improved by now. 

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited August 2020
    There is nothing wrong with hosted and would be my preference any time, it all depends on your internet connection and speed.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Allan Noffke
    Allan Noffke Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2020
    I agree with Gerry Winter, that there is nothing wrong with hosted and does depend on internet speed. I have been a partner with Reckon for years and worked in an Accountants office which now gives me the experience of Accountancy and that gives me some different idea on what is wanted in business to comply with ATO requirements. BUT, I do say,
     there should be better back up HELP. 
  • Allan Noffke
    Allan Noffke Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2020
    No Kevin, I have never rang Zero. They are nearly the same with no back up to help in any form. Remember, they are in it to MAKE MONEY! Why worry after they have sold you a product? Accountancy knowledge is so valuable in any problem as there is a certain amount of creativeness!!!!! LOL. ?
  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited August 2020
    Fortunately I have NBN but had no problems with ADSL either. I am in Sydney too which may help. I access Hosted easily from PC using mainly Firefox browser but also from iPad using Safari
  • Theresa Waters
    edited August 2020
    Our Internet is not wonderful! Remote NSW. We are liking Hosted but yes slow due to our Internet connection. We were having a lot of issues with Desktop so can see an improvement.
  • GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited August 2020
    Can i ask what probles were you having with desktop.
    Gerry

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Theresa Waters
    edited August 2020
    The main issue was that we have a Multi-user Software Installed on our Server but some users were not able to use Data File if other Users were not logged in. We had tried to fix it over the years and have checked all Trouble Shooting but were not able to fix the issue.
  • GerryWinter
    edited August 2020
    I would like to help you, no promises but nothing lost.
    Call me Gerry 0418907140

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Theresa Waters
    edited August 2020
    Hi Gerry. Thank you but we have already moved over to Hosted and is working well (just slow at times)
  • GerryWinter
    edited August 2020
    Great to hear and if you need a hand just call.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Theresa Waters
    edited August 2020
    Will do. Thank you