Changing to Accounts 2018

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Hi, I'm trying to use the new Quickbooks and the system asks me to do a back up first.  I've tried several times but the backup doesn't work.  I've gotten to 99% but after 4 hours gave up.  Anyone had the same problem or know how to solve?  Thanks
Photo of Janette Hall Houeix

Janette Hall Houeix

• 802 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 40,048 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Its called Reckon not Quickbooks. If the backup doesnt work, youre stuck.

Janette Hall Houeix

It's called reckon not quickbooks - thankyou for being so helpful...
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 40,048 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No problem Janette.
Photo of John Peppas

John Peppas, Accredited Partner

• 1,532 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If you have a large data file then it could take a long time. Suggest you start the backup and let it run overnight
Photo of Deborah Soelaiman

Deborah Soelaiman

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Janette, you need to set up your computer to never sleep. Once the computer sleeps, Reckon will be disconnected.
Photo of Nadine

Nadine

• 908 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Janette
After having the same issues as you for two days, I have finally started having some success. I used Linda's suggestion, partially, and ran the back up on a portable drive. This worked, still slowly but quicker than a PC backup.
After that it refused to do the data rebuild. I eventually suggested to our IT company that we run the rebuild on the server file, rather than on my PC. He left it running overnight and it has worked.
Is your file located on a server though? Not sure if it is the same set up as ours.
We still have one more hurdle to get through this morning, in that the system is now refusing to switch back to multi-user mode. Need to find a work around on that one now! This has been the most painful process.
Hope something I have said here may help you.
Photo of Linda Putland

Linda Putland, Accredited Partner

• 6,272 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Nadine - glad you are having success but my suggestion wasn't around using a portable drive to backup - it was using the Option to create a Portable file instead of a Backup file (you select this from within the routine Save Copy or Backup) - this process does similar tasks to a verify & rebuild and creates a smaller file in the process, hence its quicker than a Backup and perhaps file maintenance more thoroughly at the same time... the Restoring of this Portable File in 2018 also does some file maintenance... hopefully this helps when reading my suggestions from the other day for those who have large files that take ages to do a backup that includes the Verify (note it is the verify process inside the backup that takes most of the time)... regards Linda
Photo of Nadine

Nadine

Hi Linda, ok, understand where you are coming from. I did read your post properly but I guess when it comes to working with our precious data we are often a bit scared about doing the wrong thing. Going forward I really need to do something about condensing our data but I have also been a bit scared about that as there is about 18 years of history there. Whats the best suggestion to shrink the file. Other than a new file!!
Photo of Linda Putland

• 6,272 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately the only suggestion is a new file... its something that I think all of us have to face - yes, we are into our 18th year since the introduction of GST and like you, I also have our business file which has 18 years of data in it!!!  In some ways I think all of us with our big files need to seriously consider our options before next end of financial year - and think about starting a new file - we can always keep a copy of our old files that we can open anytime to get historical data from... we will never lose that... I believe that even running the file clean up utilities wont actually reduce the size of the file that much... hence the new datafile is the way to go... it will be lightening fast!  Cheers Linda
Photo of Linda Putland

• 6,282 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
HI Janette - I posted some steps the other day to help with this...   check the post here... https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-long-does-it-take-to-backup
hope this helps?
Photo of Nadine

Nadine

I have been trying to back up our file for 18 hours. It sat at 0% the entire time. Called Reckon support this morning and they told me it will take a while keep trying!! Seriously! What do you do if it just won't back up?

Janette Hall Houeix

Oh no!  I tried for 4 1/2 hours yesterday and finally got to 99% but it sat on that for over an hour so I had to give up.  I've tried another two times and get to about 70% in about 20 minutes but then it stops.  I'll try and the overnight and let you know if that works.

Deborah Soelaiman

It took me about 5 hours to do backup. As long as it is progressing, you should just wait and do not click or do anything on your computer. I always did backup on weekend.
Photo of Nadine

Nadine

It doesn’t move past 0% and I had it running all night while no activity. Now I’m sitting waiting still, and it’s still on 0%. 19 hours later!

Deborah Soelaiman

There must be something wrong. Our company files is very big, but it moved from 0% after probably 30 minutes (can't remember the exact time).
Photo of Nadine

Nadine

There is definitely something not right that is for sure as I still haven't been able to get this done. I tried getting help from Reckon and it was so not helpful. 

Janette Hall Houeix

I'm the same Nadine we're not a big business so I don't believe our file is that big.  I've contacted our accountants to see if they can help.  I'll let you know how I go.