chart of accounts

Options
Angela Yeend
Angela Yeend Member Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Accounts Hosted
I can't delete some unused items in our Chart of Accounts because it says "You cannot delete an item that has sub items.  Delete the sub items first".   How do I find the sub-items related to these accounts.  I am in hierarchical view and there are no sub items listed under these accounts. 

Comments

• Angela Yeend
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled chart of accounts. I can't delete some unused items in our Chart of Accounts because it says "You cannot delete an item that has sub items.  Delete the sub items first".   How do I find the sub-items related to these accounts.  I am in hierarchical view and there are no sub items listed under these accounts. 
  • Kevin Bell
    Kevin Bell Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Angela,
    It may be that the sub accounts have been made inactive, if you place a tick in the inactive button at the base of the chart of accts list this will show all inactive accts, you can then highlight the sub acct and delete. The software will only allow accts to be deleted if you have the necessary approvals in your user set up also if the respective accts have not been used in posting a transaction to 
    Regards
    Kevin
  • Angela Yeend
    edited December 2016
    Options

The client set up a new business and accepted the standard chart of accounts. I have to import his standard chart of accounts from his other supermarkets.  

There have been no transactions in the accounts as yet and no accounts marked as inactive as the file was only opened this morning.  

Thanks for your suggestions.  Got any more? :-)

Cheers

Angela

• Kevin Bell
    Kevin Bell Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Consider creating another new company file, select skip interview, select other/none for how the company is organised, then select other/none for type of industry, this will give you a very bare minimum chart of accounts this will allow you to import the other chart of accounts without the requirement of deleting any accts
  • Angela Yeend
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yep, figured that would probably be a work around and I'll do that if needed in future.  I have just made the relevant accounts "Inactive" for this file.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Angela