Class restrictions with INVOICE and SALES RECEIPTS

Jay Garland
Jay Garland Member Posts: 130
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I have more than one business entity and use the CLASS function to differentiate when I receive / spend money against each of my businesses. This gives me P&Ls for each business entity.

When I use INVOICE or SALES RECEIPT I can only assign a CLASS to the whole invoice / sales receipt. This is sometimes problematic as when I sell two items (one from each business entity), I then need to raise two different invoices each with its respective CLASS.

When I use SPEND MONEY, each line entry can have its own class.

When I use ONLINE BANKING and create a DEPOSIT RULE, I can assign a CLASS to each line entry.

It would be a great improvement to the INVOICE / SALES RECEIPTS function if you could also record CLASS per line item on the INVOICE / SALES RECEIPT.

Comments

• Kay Smart, Accredited Consultant
    Kay Smart, Accredited Consultant Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2016
    You can already do this.  Go the customise Invoice columns and tick class
  • Jay Garland
    edited November 2017
    Fantastic Kay, thanks for sharing that great tip. Question: there's no a CLASS drop-down for the INVOICE and a CLASS drop-down for each line entry. If I'm using different classes on different line entries, how does the over-riding CLASS selection impact the invoice?
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Jay.  The class facility is already available if you use customised invoice templates.  If you are using a standard template, make a copy of it and then do the following:
    1.  Go to the Template list and select the invoice that you want to customise and open it.
    2.  Down the bottom, click on Additional Customisation
    3.  Go the the Columns tab, go down the list and put a tick under Screen against Class. Don't put a tick under the Print column because you are unlikely to want to print this on an invoice.
    4.  Under the Order column, select a number which represents the position on the screen that you want this column to appear.
    5.  Click OK a couple of times and now you will see it on you invoice template that you use to create your invoice.  You will now be able to insert a class for each line.

The same principle applies for your Sales Receipts as well as I use this regularly.

John L G.  
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Excellent advice, John - clearly outlined.

Gaz
  • Jay Garland
    edited November 2016
    Is there a way to similarly edit and re-order the columns in WRITE CHEQUES?
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    No Jay.  It is fixed the way it is with Class being the last column.  Don't you like it where it is?  I know it can be easy to miss at times, but if you have your preferences set so that you always get a warning when you don't include a Class on any line, you should not have any problems.
    John L G.
  • Jay Garland
    edited November 2016
    It's more that I don't use the two columns before CLASS and have to tab through them to get to the CLASS column. I couldn't find a way to turn off the two proceeding columns.
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    In that regard Jay, you are probably like most of the rest of us.  It is just something that we have to live with.
    John L G