Copy Memo to Description Field

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago

H&B Desktop is there a way to copy all my Memo field data into Description? I have about 3,000 of them?
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Jane, can you expand on what you're trying to achieve - what od you mean by copy Memo field data to Description?
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

When I import data all the Payees go into the Memo field and id like them to be in the Description field.
Thanks for replying
(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Can't help I'm afraid, Jane.  I don't Import data as it causes too many problems - prefer to use scheduled transactions for regular repeat ones an manual entry for the remainder - it's not as onerous as it sounds as any previous transaction is memorised and auto fills, then adjust the particular amount.

Doesn't help with your 3000 entries I'm afraid.  Maybe someone else knows how to manipulate data imports.
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

Ok,,, Yes I am doing pretty much same as you now. I was just trying to tidy up some previous years and thought there may be a quicker way than individual copy/paste. Even if there was a way to sort by memo would help,,, oh well.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Jane, you could do a Find All search on the Memo field.  Search for Memo Greater than or equal to *.* and it should bring up all transactions with something in the Memo field.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Just checked and Greater than or equal to * also works.
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

I am quiet happy with H&B it is able to do most thinhs i ask of it.
However I've always had this issue of how to get a large number of memo entries into the description field.
I've being using your idea above and after a full day made hardly a dent in things. I have most of the data in qif format also. And thinking Maybe I can get this into a spreadsheet somehow,,, then back to qif and back into H&B hopefully with all othet data remaiming intact .. Any thoughts or help on this ?
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

Thanks Dave ,,, will give it a go
Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

I am quiet happy with H&B it is able to do most thinhs i ask of it.
However I've always had this issue of how to get a large number of memo entries into the description field.
I've being using your idea above and after a full day made hardly a dent in things. I have most of the data in qif format also. And thinking Maybe I can get this into a spreadsheet somehow,,, then back to qif and back into H&B hopefully with all othet data remaiming intact .. Any thoughts or help on this ?
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

You can certainly export a Report to a spreadsheet, Jane, where you can manipulate the fields.  I'm not sure how to then get it back into RPP.

To export, run the report as above, then Print/Export to tab-limited which will generate a CSV file which can be imported into Excel.

You might know how to get the modified file back into RPP, but you will have duplicate entries, so will have to delete all the original entries.

Hopefully that might work.
Photo of Data Rec

Data Rec, Employee

• 6,040 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jane,

There are both free and chargeable CSV (spreadsheet format) to QIF converters which may assist you.

Example: search for "Free Online Converter CSV to QIF" or "convert CSV to QIF"

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

Photo of Jane Southern

Jane Southern

Thanks Guys,,, will do.