Copy of Australian tax list

Options
Tyson_8028553
Tyson_8028553 Member Posts: 9
edited February 2018 in Accounts Hosted
Hi,

I set up a company on hosted, I know I kept all tax items selected, but there are now none in my list.

I've done quite a bit of setup and run payroll etc.  So am wondering if someone can export their tax codes/list to an iif for me to import rather than create manually.

Excuse my noobness.

Cheers

Comments

• Shannon Sciuto
    Shannon Sciuto Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Tax items, tax codes or both? 

• Shannon Sciuto
    Shannon Sciuto Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2018
    Options
    send me an email to shannon@cinchadministration.com.au I can send you the tax codes (Reckon doesn't let you export the tax items in iif. 
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tyson and Shannon

Worth noting/testing this method too:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-do-i-export-the-tax-item-list-to-an-iif-file?topic-re...

(subject to testing !!)

Seems that when you select ITEM LIST  along with TAX CODE LIST for exporting,  the resuling IIF file contains  three lots of things.

a)  The full ITEM LIST  (service, inventory, non-inventory, discounts, totals and so forth)
    b)  PLUS an otherwise obscure looking set of 'items'  that are in fact the TAX ITEMS.
         (if you import the IIF into Excel, and refer to column D for "COMPTAX" classifications
           then you'll find the elusive TAX ITEMS)
    c)  THEN at the foot, there are the TAX CODES

It's then a matter of cutting out the (a) set of records.

CAVEAT:   I've not tried importing such a cut down list into a live file - so it would be prudent, in fact, imperative, that a test of importing what's left,  into a TEST COPY of the company file first to check if this methodology is correct.

You'd need to really careful not to import LINES from that file that are already records in your system, otherwise you'll end up with horrible duplication!!!

But the above link mentioned the clue to this, but unfortunately never mentioned whether it was a successful outcome.   Perhaps this forum article may yeild the final story!

Here's a view (red highlighted TAX ITEMS (as part of all items, then TAX CODES)

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks Gary and Shannon.

Shannon emailed me the tax codes, but before you added your suggestion Gary.

It appears Tax items can be exported and imported in xls format?  Is this the case?  IF so can someone try for me?

Thanks

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tyson

Let me clarify:   we've been talking 'EXCEL' above.

Those screen shots I provided above, are exports, and exports generate CSV (Comma separated value)  formatted files that are in fact for use by EXCEL.   You open EXCEL and open the xxxx.csv file.     

Make a COPY of your company file to practice on, using a unique TEST-like name, and in a temporary TEST folder somewhere quite away from your production system versions of COMPANY files.  And consider the editing of the idea suggested.   But be VERY mindful of the CAVEAT - hence do some testing.  

This exercise needs to be tested with some payroll data OFFLINE to your production systems

Gary
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Understand, however the file didn't come out as described, possibly because of the options in export.

However I noticed in the Tax Items list that there's an xls export format on my version of hosted and thought that may work.  Shannon advised that it exports all items though.

Cheers

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tyson

"The file didn't come out as described".... let's check what's happened there for you.  The File -->  Utilities -->  Export,  will create a file that is initially called whatever name you desire.  In my case, I ticked the Tax Codes, and the Items,  and the name of the file I made was:  "tax_codes_and_all_items_list.IIF".

The IIF naming convention is a Quickbooks/Reckon naming convention.  But inside, it is just a CSV file (simple text, with all FIELDS separated by a <TAB> character)

CSV is a Excel convention,  and some people use 'comma'  or  '<tab>'  or "colon"... the list goes on.  Anyway,  rename the file to end in  ".CSV" rather than ".IIF".  Then double-click on it to open it, and usually Excel will jump in and try to sort it out for you.,  Tell it that the file has <TAB> delimited (separated) DATA (fields).   And you'll end up with the screenshot I provided far above.

Take it from there.

But frankly,  if this is a little complex,  I'd really recommend you just spend 30 minutes using the list supplied by Shannon and just create the missing items you desire manually by hand, so you're more in control.

Gary
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the replies Gary.

Shannon only exported the codes originally, before your post.  So the data wasn't in the file in the first place.

FYI You can actually open a .iif file in excel just by going to file open all files.. 

You made me think of something though, I could create 2 new companies to play with.  I didn't really think about it before.  Then if the import works, can try on live.

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's dead right, Tyson - that's the idea.  Test it in a separate company.  

Cheers

Gary
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Kinda getting somewhere.

So i've got all the Items in a csv which i'm trying to import.  Most of the field mappings are obvious, but the compulsory ITEM mapping doesn't like the fields that appear to be item such as INVITEM.  I have also tried changing to TAXITEM, to no avail.

Any ideas?

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tyson

I'm becoming uncomfortable with the idea of the import.   There are only a FEW "tax Item" elements that you need to enter in your case.   I've had a quick look on a local system here (granted it is a desktop version, and not your HOSTED version.

I observe that the overall exported file has a variety of heading lines.  The very first line of the exported file, contains the HDR (heading lines) for simply describing the database you extracted your data from.  So, using MAPPINGS based on that top header is of no avail.   Whereas, (in my example) line 11 of the exported file, gives the broader "!INVITEM" heading of a considerable number of columns.

If the Exported file had the entries ABOVE that more useful heading, removed,  than when you come to setup the MAPPINGS, you could use (what was once line 11, but now line 1), as the prompted set of HEADINGS to select from.

However, what I observe, is that the only "Quickbooks" fields for ITEMS are the stock/service items,  and not the ones you really want for TAX CODE items.

I observed the same situation on the Reckon HOSTED R2 (latest) site too.

IE:  there 5 critical fields that are relevant to just TAX CODE ITEMS are:

Tyson - go with a MANUAL creation process, based on the lists you have.

Gary

• Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks Gary, one step ahead of you and now I have a different issue. (Bearing in Mind my background is IT and not Accounting)

So I created them all Manually and essentially still have the same problem that made me notice them in the first place.

When doing something like creating an invoice and selecting the TAX, I get add new as the only option, none of the codes are in there.  So I can create something like NCG2 and link the tax item, then it will appear in that list.  But I can't delete the NCG and re-add see screenshot:

The thing is, the only thing I have set up and run in reckon is payroll (hence not just starting again) and I have an account for my equity contributed and set up bank accounts, though haven't reconciled or anything yet.

If there's a way to export this data and import to a new reckon file, i'd be fine, but I can't see how I can do that either.

Thoughts?

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tyson

I wonder if we've all missed the original point here.    If NCG exist,  then perhaps it is sitting there as "INACTIVE"

Have you gone to View Lists,  and get the list on the screen, and then at the bottom, there is a menu of options, one of which is,  SHOW INACTIVE.

Your last POST suggests it must exist.

Gaz
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can see your thinking but it's active...  This is the weird thing.

I guess this is continuing on from the original issue, thought I had some progression.

It's there in lists, but not in invoicing or PO's etc.  I can type it in, and it will come up, but then I get an error of "You won't be able to use this tax code, because it doesn't have a purchase tax item defined."

I created another called NCG2 as can be seen, and seems to work ok.  So I thought i'd delete the originals and re-create.  That's when I get the error in my previous post.

From an accountants point of view/potential future issues is my worry if I have to have all weird names for everything.

I have screen shots, but this site is saying Service Temporarily Unavailable. :S  Will post when Can.

• Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tyson

We've had a phone chat, and I'll permit you to document your feelings directly on this.  But in support of you and your efforts above,  it is certainly looking like the tax ITEMS have failed to originally populate, and only the new ones you're attempting to create, are visible.  However they are unusable, as some other aspect of the linking of CODES to ITEMS (for tax codes -->  items)  is not fully implemented.

Put up your final findings/outcome after reloading a few hours of payroll in fresh files.

Gary
  • Tyson_8028553
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the call.  Appreciate the followup.

Definitely some weird database stuff going on, will start a new company, move data and let you guys know when I have some time to play around with the broken one.