creating a new company file to replace the old one

Tania Lindenmayer
Tania Lindenmayer Member Posts: 37
edited May 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I have had to create a new file for our company as the old one was 14 years old and too big and lots of errors.  I have imported all my staff and suppliers and customer.  How do I set up the bills to be paid?  when I try to write a bill to put them to accounts payable it will not let me save it I get the error you cannot use more than one A/R or A/P account in the same transaction.  I only have one line? 

I am unsure how I can set up the bills that have not yet been paid in the new file.

Comments

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited May 2020
    It may have something to do with your chart of accounts. Are you entering the bills on the original date to the supplier and using the correct expense account? Are you on cash Basis for your BAS? It’s all relevant
  • Tania Lindenmayer
    edited July 2019
    I need to add it to a post it to the balance sheet as this was counted in the prior years p and l.  I just need to pay it in this financial year in a new QB file.  It would not matter if the file was continuing as they would just be in the pay  bill screen.  
  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited May 2020
    If they are going to be paid in the normal way you can enter them in as a normal bill on the original date (just for your ref) and use an expense account called prior year or anything you like, if you have claimed the GST on them you won’t use a tax code, but if you’re on cash basis you’ll need to put them in exactly as they were in the original file.
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Tania

Edit the customer, supplier profile and enter the opening balance for the entity just under the name where it says 'open balance', this will be a lump sum total outstanding from your AR or AP report at the close date from the old file.  Any monies received can just be paid off the 'open balance' transaction of the entity. And only the amounts paid will reflect in your Cash basis reporting.

Or

You can manually enter all the customer invoices & outstanding bills with their original invoice numbers and dates, enter as normal, including gst, as long as they are entered with a date prior to the current file start date or financial year they want be included in the current year figures or gst.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2019
    HI Tania I think the issue you are experiencing is you are using Accounts Payable in the allocation line of the bill - thus debiting and crediting Accounts Payable. You should use the Opening Bal Equity Account instead. If you are accrual GST, leave the GST field blank. If you have lots of debtors and creditors to enter, the transactions can be imported. Give me a call if this is the case and I can discuss costs and the processes. Graham Boast 0409317366 Graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Tania Lindenmayer
    edited July 2019
    Thanks everyone for your help.